1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube LASER tweak

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by speedi, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Hyuken

Hyuken Member

Hi, I just tried fiddling around with my pot and don't actually have an Ammeter. Is there any way to find a good setting for your pot without an ammeter? What would be the method to do this? Do I start by turning left (counter-CW) or right (clockwise)? thanks

BTW this is only for Disc Read Errors and not for burned/backed up games.

2. nofaith

nofaith Member

Hey, i just got resident evil 4 off the web as 2 img files and was wondering how to get it working on my cube. Do you need a chip installed or can you just turn the ohm levels of the drive down? Also do you need a specific dvd burner to burn the img file or will anyone do? what program should be used to burn? Cheers for any knowledge!

3. dotgp

dotgp Member

theirs not really any way to measure without an ammetre as u only have to move the POT a tiny bit and the value has changed significantly(?)
    just change it untill you dont get DRE any more.

as for resident evil 4 you will need a chip or some way to load exploits
    you can use max drive pro drive and load GCOS onto that so u wont have to solder anything to your cube changing the laser does not make backups work it just makes the laser more precise so you dont get disk read errors.

4. dotgp

dotgp Member

My POT was 470ish and i lowered it down to 167 and it worked but i wanted to put this higher as to give my laser a bit more life expectancy so i raised it to 400 exact and it works perfectly no DRE
    my problem is i cant remember if you lower the POT just for DRE or if its to stop the laser working so hard?

is 400 a good value?

i have viper-cobra 1.1 using ridata G04 (i am going to see also if it works with cheap media)yes it does datawrite red v3 and datawrite titanium dvd-r

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  5. grbrum

grbrum Member

Hello, I am using Viper with GCOS v1,4 bios (my GC is brazilian DOL-002 and cobra doesnt work yet) and the GC was originally 50 ohm (too low I think) and some games worked fine and some specific games didnt.
    I tried to push higher to 200 ohm and some games that wasnt working started to work (without Read erros) and some that worked before stoped working !!!

I could not find an ideal point where all game worked. I am suing only one media for all dvds (DOTCOM)

does any one has an IDEA please of what I can do ?
    I was thinking on maybe disabling this (potenciometer -I dont know if the name in english is correct) and putting one paralel outside the cube for me to adjust it manually for each game I am playing.

has anyone tried that?

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  6. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

It's better to find a one-time solution for your POT; a perfect resistance for you so you can play all games without ever having to touch your POT again... Because this can wear your laser out if you change your values occaisonly (blah, english...). Mine is at 175 but hey I'm Europe (belgium)! And all works well now.
    I had some problems when I flashed my Viper chip to BIOS 1.0, discs that wouldn't boot, occasional DREs...and I never used other media. (Memorex Pocket-DVD-R). So I guess the BIOS you are using requires a fixed pot resistance.
    BTW: nice idea for a mod though, putting a little switch on the side of the cube to adjust your pots resistance... =)

grtz and R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

7. grbrum

grbrum Member

Hey, tks, but this is the problem, today I am playing zelda and both metroid.
    each onle works at one resistance.... hahaha.

I am F**

O am leaving the GC opened and fixed with almost no screws today because of that.( so aI can change the values more easily)..

8. grbrum

grbrum Member

Will I have any proplems with RDE if I use full size DVDs?
    Anyone knows that?
    Afterall they are also cheaper...

9. QBasicer

QBasicer Member

I know of a Gamecube that has recently stopped reading _ALL_ discs. Would this tweak fix that? (It won't even read Nintendo Disks). It has been not modded in any way and is 4 years old.

10. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

Could be possible that the laser is worn out...waht is, i think, normal after 4 years of intense use.
    If not, correct me, anyone.

11. QBasicer

QBasicer Member

Maybe, but I wonder if this will solve it. If it doesn't, who cares, if it does, it means a free 'Cube for me.

12. Hyuken

Hyuken Member

Well I am playing Metroid Prime and getting DRE like every 10 minutes. So all I do is open the lid and close it then keep playing. Is this bad? Should I turn my POT left (CCW) or right (CW) and how much?

13. Quezacotl

Quezacotl Regular member

It's not matter where you turn it, if only pot is at the right value, 160-260ohm is good.

14. QBasicer

QBasicer Member

The gamecube I recently acquired does not spin it's disk. Now I have a hunch there's a broken solder, which may or may not be easy to fix.

15. wakata

wakata Member

thanx dud , mine was at 60 but i increase it up to 173.5 , every thing is OK , may Allah ( the merciful ) bless ur soul :)

16. Turk05

Turk05 Member

have you heard about the new nintendo revolution go to www.engadget.com this system looks hot but don't know how its gonna fair yet against Xbox360 or the ps3

17. -Geforce-

-Geforce- Member

The XBox 360 is very very cool and M$ sure listened to the people and its much better than the Xbox, but still the PS3 Totally OWNZ it!

Revo is a whole different story, it wont be able to satisfy hardcore gamers whow want to play realistic shooters and race games and such, but it will be by far the best for cool gameplay features and a new way of controlling games. The PS3 and Xbox 360 are more media center like.

Official pic of PS3:
    [​IMG]

Official pic of Xbox 360:
    [​IMG]

Concept Art Revolution:
    [​IMG]

PS The Revo will be the smallest of them all ;) just 3 DVD boxes high (is rumoured)!

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  18. Turk05

Turk05 Member

What new way of controlling games?

19. s49w

s49w Guest

[ADVERT REMOVED]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2005
  20. Gunout

Gunout Member

tweaked my laser today, cause i got a lot of disk read errors all the time (with games like mario party, which needs a lot of loading)

it was at 590 ohm when i checked.,,