1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube Security Screwdriver / Bit

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by penbralat, Sep 16, 2007.

1. penbralat

penbralat Member

Does anyone know if there are any local stores that sell the 4.5mm bit / screwdriver that's needed to open the GC? I know of a dozen + places online to buy it but if there's a local hardware store that sells it then it would be much faster. Thanks for any input.

2. jman242

jman242 Guest

I know for a fact that you cannot buy a gamebit in stores, and I highly doubt that you can buy a screwdriver that would easily open a SNES N64 GB or GC. Best bet would be online, I found a bit for about $13 (shipping included) and it works well. I made the money back opening my mates' cases and cleaning out their systems and replacing the screws in the back... I have used the bit so much that the metal on it has rubbed off and cannot open anymore cases :(.

3. penbralat

penbralat Member

Thanks for the response. I didn't see any at the store that would fit the GC so I'll just grab one from online.

4. Menion

Menion Regular member

get a simple Bic pen remove everything from it heat it up with lighter until it starts to melt and shove it down on the screw, it will form a makeshift screwdriver to get them out, after that just replace them with normal screws

5. HG27

HG27 Guest

+1 on Bic Pen method

6. uou

uou Regular member

Yep, +2 on the bic pen method. I used it just yesturday. It's only 4 screws, and once you remove them, throw them in the trash and replace them with regular philips screws, what would be the point of owning the game bit, except for a waste of time and money?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great GameCube mod site:

Mod That Cube

7. HG27

HG27 Guest

Awesome! Modthatcube is back!

8. penbralat

penbralat Member

Thanks for the helpful posts! I ended up purchasing a bit for $3.95 (included shipping) because I didn't have any luck with the Bic pen trick (although I didn't have the hard plastic pen which is probably why it didn't work). I might run out and try this pen trick just to see if I can get it to work. I don't expect to get my bit until Friday or Saturday so maybe it'll be worth looking in to.

I am assuming that I can pick up a digital multimeter for any hardware store?

9. uou

uou Regular member

Yes, it has to be a hard plastic pen.

Yes, you can get a cheap multi-meter at hardware stores or auto stores, usually they have cheap ones for under $5 in bargain bins at the front of the store. Though, I don't think you really need a multimeter, unless you run into problems.

10. HG27

HG27 Guest

Multimeter is usually only required when installing hard mods.