1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gameing computer

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by acepilot2, Jul 12, 2007.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Find me a PC from Circuit city for that price with those hardware specs. I don't think you'll see one. You may see an X2 3800+ in systems as low as $400, but I doubt it'll be complemented with a 7600GT, or a quality power supply.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't think pre-built system come with a video card at all. yeah actually you seem to be right, adding in the cost of a power supply and a 7600 Gt it seems to be about the same.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Precisely. And there you have the issue of non-standard or low class motherboards.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

OK, so we unanimously agree that you should build your own system. Although if you can go with the Core 2 Duo, it is MUCH better. For more comparisons search up "toms hardware CPU charts" in Google.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For $600? Show me how, Abuzar. The 3800+ is still a reasonable CPU, and I think the gain of a Core 2 Duo would only be seen with an E6400 or above, which pushes the cost up considerably. Since this is a low budget build, we won't be looking at overclocking much, so I'm sticking with the X2.

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

He could reuse his old HDD and other drives.

E6400-200 Dollars
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3-67 Dollars
    7600 GT- 107 Dollars
    Dvd Writer- Reused
    Dvd rom drive- Reused
    HDD- Reused
    Ultra Grid Case + Ultra XVX modular 700 Watt Power supply- 150 dollars
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2-8000(I guess that would make it around 1000 MHz)- 35 Dollars
    Shipping- 50

Yeah the mobo is refurbished, but so what? They are still under warranty so you can get them replaced. I may have missed something, so please point it out. Positive criticism never hurt!

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Refurbished mobos aren't usually that great, that's an extra $50, and how much memory did you use? I can't believe any 1GB of PC8000 is only $35. Is it all coming from the same place? I also avoid Ultra PSUs, I know they're better than most, but I'm not all that confident in their reliability. I wouldn't put one in my system, put it that way.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah but you can get it replaced by gigabyte if it has problems so no need to get a new one. for that particular power supply I have only read good reviews. Have you had a problem with a Ultra Power supply?

EDIT: Oh and I got the memory from tiger direct, but it doesn't seems to be on sale anymore. Anyway the point was if he can afford it the E6400 would be a better choice.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah but why take the risk in the first place?
    As for the Ultra PSU, I have read a couple of negative reviews, that's what makes me wary.

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

For that exact one? Could you point me to one?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

This comes from Silentpcreview about a 500W X-Finity
    That's one example, I'm sure I saw another too, I'll have a look.

Oh yeah, this was about a 600W X-Pro
    "Odd Whistling

The power supply emitted an odd whistling sound as the fan speed began to increase. It was not coil or capacitor ringing, which could be heard from very close proximity but low enough to be considered benign. This other noise was most audible directly in line with the exhaust vent. For many users, the whistling is at a low enough level that it's not enough to eliminate the X-Pro from contention, but those with very sensitive hearing and extended high frequency perception may find it unacceptable.

Surprisingly, when the load was brought up beyond 300W, the whistling stopped altogether. This was repeatable and consistent, and shows itself in the SPL drop of 2 dBA from 250W to 300W load.

To be on the safe side, the second sample was brought into play, and the sequence of load tests were repeated. On the second sample, the whistling noise was absent!

We suspect the whistling is probably an anomaly. We can only conjecture about the cause:

* The fan in the first sample may be subtly damaged so that its bearings or fins cause a harmonic noise at certain speeds.
    * Wiring and other mechanical impedances arranged uniquely in the first sample may give rise to the whistly sound when the air velocity through a certain gap reaches a certain speed.
    * Electronic components such as coils and capacitors may be interacting to cause electromechanical vibration at specific loads."

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well ok some might have had problems, but here are reviews for the EXACT power supply:

Here
    Here
    It doesn't seem to be all that bad. Of course you probably know more than me about the more technical aspects so have a look and tell me what you think.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The inside of the PSU does look very good, the two 80mm fans mean it'll be loud, but bearable. As for whether they cool it enough, that I'm not sure about, it's one of the things Ultra have messed up before. It's kind of good there's no room for a 120mm fan because of the electronics, that shows there's quality gear in there, but it's kinda bad for the cooling perspective.

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I have that one and Ill let you know once I get my new motherboard.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

OK, fair enough.

16. Feltes45

Feltes45 Member

most important thing is mobo, thats all i gotta say. newest style mobo that can support the newest cheap ram and a fairly good cpu.

dont get too into your computer either.

my system is liquid cooled, not Oc'ed
    512mb pcie 2gb ram 2.5ghz cpu
    2 hds 500gb each
    dvd+-rw
    its a general system and it works very nice, either i get on the right ping ahead of everyone everytime i game or it really is step up from their comps.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Liquid cool a 2.5Ghz Processor? I'm going to guess that's a 2.53Ghz P4, which'll be a Northwood, and therefore shouldn't need watercooling, but oh well!
    What 512MB Graphics card do you use?

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The DS3 is a pretty good mobo, and sammoris is right you really shouldn't need to liquid cool that.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, I intend to get one soon...

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well this time at least your mobo will over clock well.