1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

games don't play

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ravens1, Jul 15, 2007.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You mean a BIOS flash? Perhaps. The golden rule I'd say here is to have your PC on a backed-up power supply. If the power goes down during a BIOS flash, your motherboard could well be permanently damaged.

2. Nelmeco

Nelmeco Regular member

Yes thats what I meant, thanks.

3. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

I was reading the read me and it sounds difficult for me. I don't like to do things that could screw up my computer. If i just got a different video card, do you think that i would be able to play games?

If getting a new video card isn't the solution, i was thinking of reformatting or doing a system restore to about 5-6 months ago. I just wanted to double check- If i do a system restore i won't lose any documents/files, but i will lose programs? i checked my system restore program and i saw that i cant restore any earlier than June 20th. Then restoring to then wouldn't make a difference because i still had the problem then.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Given that you've just told us that you did and it didn't work, I doubt it. Are you able to reinstall windows?

5. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

Well the video card i had before sucked. It was terrible. The one i have now is alright, but i don't think the card is installed correctly. So maybe getting a different card and installing it might work? I don't know.

I know how to reformat. Its just that i am worried that i cant use the same serial another time. I have only used the serial once. I took it to a computer place and the guy fixed it up and reformatted giving me a serial. I don't know if he used it before?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You don't actually need to reformat and lose your data, you can just install windows over the top, it's not ideal though. If you can reformat, that's better. As for the serial, if it doesn't let you activate, just do it over the phone.

7. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

I tried to reformat except on this computer it is a little more complicated. I reformatted easily on my other computer, but not this one. I put in the xp disc and it doesn't boot. There should be a time where it says press any key to install windows, or something like it, but there's not. My computer just starts up. I forgot, how do i boot my xp cd?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Go into your BIOS and go to your boot devices menu, put your CD-ROM first, before your hard drive.

9. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

I reformatted successfully, installed my game, and it works!

BIG thanks to Nelmeco and sammorris. And thanks to 1cecold.

10. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

Ok, i was happy. But after installing 2 other games i get a similar message. The messages say that the game couldn't find a graphics driver...? Here a screen shot:[​IMG]
    Why am i getting this message?
    I installed the graphics card driver. I don't understand! It's like my card isn't being recognized. Its compatible with Directx 9.0c

EDIT: I tried playing the game that works, and now it doesn't. I just was playing it about an hour ago, and now it gives me an error message! I'm getting really pissed at my video card or whatever is causing these new problems!! Heres screen shot: [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Try changing the driver, there may be a bug with that one. Either that or your graphics chipset isn't working properly.

12. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Did you run an old game? Old games run in 256 colours, and sometimes they don't set them back afterwards. Go to your display settings (rightclick on desktop, go properties, then settings) and make sure you have 16-bit or 32-bit colour, and not 256 colours.

14. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

"Try changing the driver, there may be a bug with that one." - The driver i have now installed is from the cd that came with the video card. My driver version is 8.241.0.0, and the driver on ATI site is 6.11. So you guys think i should install the driver on ATI site?

"Make sure that you have the latest DirectX 9.0c installed." - I downloaded that file and installed it correctly.

"Did you run an old game? Old games run in 256 colours, and sometimes they don't set them back afterwards. Go to your display settings (rightclick on desktop, go properties, then settings) and make sure you have 16-bit or 32-bit colour, and not 256 colours." - No, i didn't run a game in 256. See what happens is that i can play like rise of nations once (launch it, play and exit) then if i try to play it again by double clicking the shortcut, i get that error i posted before.

If nothing works out i might just return the video card and get a new one. Thanks so much for the replies. You guys are all very helpful. :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Have you checked the desktop colour setting is right though?

16. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

Yeah, the desktop setting is right.

17. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

I returned my video card and bought a different one. Now my games work very well! Thanks again... :)

18. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Glad to see that you got it sorted. You are welcome.

19. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Not a problem. Thats what i'm here for.