1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Games stop working right after a while...

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by messup000, Apr 25, 2005.

1. messup000

messup000 Member

Ok i have burnt viewtiful joe, san andreas, splintercell ct, and metal gear solid 3. all of the games i burnt on verbatim except san andreas which i burnt on tdk. i burnt theses all with xp on dvd decrypter and at 2.4X which is the min for these dvds

i have a new slimline ps2

all of these games at first wirk fine but after about a week of playing them the cut scenes strat to become choppy and loading time increases a great deal. and with san andreas there is dres in certian places in the game. ive checked all the dvds for scratches and cleaned the lens but to no succes the games still do not seem to run correctly :( normal ps2 games do tho and dvd movies work fine. if anyone knows what teh problem might be plz help me out

thx in advance,
    messup000

2. 007PStwo

007PStwo Regular member

bad media.

3. Trainp

Trainp Member

Verbatim is not bad media at all.....i use verbatim dvd-r and tdk dvd-r....and both work flawlessly...i dont use dvd decrypter only if i have to patch dnas on to the game other than that i use nero and burn at 2x speed.....the media u use is perfectly fine...just make sure what version ps2 you have cause i have read that certain versions will take either + or - or one and not the other....

4. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

aha!

there are 2 brands of verbatim disks.. the AZO ones are almost twice the price and are well made, the cheaper disks are made by a crap company (CMC)

live and learn peeps :)

San andreas just doesnt work well as a backup. i use it with my HD and its fine. my ps2 is getting old now (one of the early ones) so the laser isnt 100% so i just guess it cant read the backup as fast as a pressed disk. lots of peeps had similar issues even using good disks

5. steimy

steimy Active member

I have a slim PSTwo and my backups also work fine. I have some on TDK 4X -R discs which work pretty good. And the majority are on Phillips 8X DVD-R which are excellent discs.
    I burned 99% of them with DVD Decrypter at 3.8X (set Decrypter to 1X)
    I also have Nero which works really good too but i rarely use it because DVD Decrypter is much easier.
    I have Splinter Cell CT, Metal Gear Solid 3, and San Andreas on the Phillips discs and they all work fine even after 3 months on the slim PSTwo.
    The Verbatim discs are ok, i know a lot of people use them but i wouldn't buy them myself. The TDK are a much better choice. And the Phillips are top notch. I have 50-60 games on the Phillips and every one still works flawless.

6. Trainp

Trainp Member

I use verbatim, memorex, and tdk....they all work fine for me....i stick with what i know that works and i wouldnt reccommend something thats garbage and babelfish sanandreas does work well as a backup because i have it as a backup....not trying to start some BS just stating facts

7. messup000

messup000 Member

well my ps2 is the new slimline so i guess that its a v12 right? neway could it be that my lasers not calibrated right? i sorta ruled out this answer since it plays dvds and (non-copied)ps2 games fine

i now know that my medias fine. does neone have an idea about what could be the problem?

oh and the verbatim dvds i use are azos

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  8. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

:) hehe i was just saying that ppl with older PS2s (with worn out lasers, like mine) have frequently reported san andreas problems on the backups.

also media wise memorex have a terrible reputation, TDK's isnt that good, it depends on the manufacturer.

check out the DVD media forums for more info...

9. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

im assuming these problems get worse the farther you get into the game rather than how long you play them.try starting the game from the beginning to see if this is true.if the problems only occur in later stages of your game then it probably isnt your ps2,but your backups that are the problem

people with older ps2 should clean their lens with alcohol(not cleaner disc).and adjust their lens closer to the disc if laser is going out.

10. messup000

messup000 Member

ok so if it is the backup would it be the actual backup or would it be the way im burning the dvds cauz im burning the dvds with an external dvd burner idk if that would cauz a dif and the games that im burning arnt downloaded but copies of the origanal discs...
    but in san andreas i also notice a lag in loading time especially when the game first starts.where as b4 when it loaded it only took mabe 5 seconds

alrighty then well ive decided that i was gonna take the easy way out and get usbadvanced and a 200gb external hard drive so thatnks for your suggestions but i just dont want to pay so much for dvds that i keep on wasting again thx for the help much appreciated :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  11. FreeGamer

FreeGamer Guest

Problem #1 - External DVD Writers BLOW! Just like a CD Writer! All Externals really do suck! I'm not trying to start beef but I would have recommended an Internal!

Oh and for people saying Memorex are good!?! I bought some they blow royaly! My Metal Gear Solid 3 lagged like a champ! I then went and started buying Maxell DVD-R and they are the best for me!! No problems except a couple laggy games do to not being able to rebuild and the ISO being large! I burn all my games on Maxell DVD-R at 4x, with a Lite-On DVD Writer! And I use DVD DECRYPTER!!

12. Davv111

Davv111 Regular member

New slim ps2 use only dvd+r media

13. messup000

messup000 Member

well god damn then its still not the media :( cauz all my dvds are + but neways i just sold my gamecube and found this super great 250gb maxtor hd on newegg so i just use that my suggestion is get a hd and stop bothering w/ the different types of dvds unless you want to play online and in that case just get the real game....

14. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

when it comes down to it,there is no simple way of backing up ps2.it takes some patience and understading to do it right.if you go hd you have to buy a hd, the hd loader prog,and a network adapter (whats that about $100-$200?) and ive seen plenty of people having trouble getting them to work right.disc swapping requieres good burning skills and good laser lens matainence.plus dvdrw drive and media combination vary from person to person with different results.i burned alot of experiment disc(with cheap media no doubt)to get the hang of it.also cleaned and adjusted my lens.now im confident i can burn almost any game with any kind of media.except dl disc(dont have dl burner and im not sold on rebuiding a disc or patching yet).