1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gameshark Booting Question Discovery Thing. Not the usual.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by midgarguy, Mar 24, 2004.

1. midgarguy

midgarguy Member

OK this is a bit long winded but please bear with me...

I have a Gameshark2 V1.9 that I have used to boot CD based PS2 games with before. I was searching Ebay lately and found some dirt cheap Gameshark2 V2's. I picked up a few just for the heck of it. I got one today and was curious to see if I could boot backups or imports with it.

Turns out the PSX code archive disk doesn't need the dongle like my V1.9 did, and it works great for booting PSX games, so I feel I got my money's worth.

Great huh?

Next I tried the PS2 version of the Gameshark2 V2.

Guess what? It doesn't work because the disk keeps spinning constantly as if it is double checking to make sure the GS is still in there. PS2 CD backups won't load, atleast not the normal way.
    (I haven't tried the add new code trick yet)

Just out of curiosity I decided to test something. What if I reformated the NEW Gameshark2 V2 dongle with the OLD Gameshark2 V1.9 disk????

Dumb idea? I thought so too, but being the hard-head that I am I tried it anyway.

Well guess what.... Yep, it worked!!!

Now I am able to boot the NEW Gameshark2 V2 disk with the NEW Dongle formated with the OLD Gameshark2 V1.9 disk and boot my backup PS2 CD games. It works just like the Gameshark2 V1.9 did. I just select 'start game without codes', swap, and enjoy!!! :)

My question(s) are:

Would it be possible to format the NEWER GS dongle in a way that would allow booting of a backup PS2 game?

I assume this type of reformating I applied is sort of like the CD Loader I hear about?

Theoretically, you should be able to get a backup of a Gameshark V1.9 and use a Swap Magic boot disk to load it while holding L1+L2+R1+R2+start and reset/format a new GS Dongle with the V1.9 data. This may work for much newer version of the GS since it appears to stop the PS2 drive from spinning and checking itself on my GS2V2! *did that make sense?*

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, answers?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  2. bruce_50

bruce_50 Guest

hi midgarguy!Can you help me?i download the gameshark 2 v3.i opened the RAR and there was 4 files :
    .CCD
    .cue
    .img
    .sub
    how do i burn gameshark in a cd-r\rw?
    [bold]Thanks man![/bold]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2004
  3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

downloading gameshark is illegal and against forum rules.

4. shuttsies

shuttsies Member

My god if you dont know how to burn a cue file he should have his writer taken away....silly newbie...

I doubt there is a way to do that im afraid....

5. bruce_50

bruce_50 Guest

first,i'm not against the rules because i'm not asking where can i find this products,i'm asking which file i burn in the cd if i have 4 files!!!it's a question about burn files,not piracy!!!

6. benagain

benagain Regular member

dude, downloading gameshark is very much piracy. If you were backing up your own gameshark, you wouldn't need to be downloading anything. If you backup your own disk and needed to burn a cue sheet. You would load it up in Nero, or CDRWin or whatever your using to burn. I should mention though, I've never seen a cue sheet without a .bin to go along with it. Good luck with that.

7. benagain

benagain Regular member

Oh and midgarguy, I've been screwing around with my gameshark and I just got it to play backups with cheats last night, so I'm still messing around with it. Hope you get everything working the way you need though.