1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gameshark cheats with modded PS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by datatrek, Mar 16, 2004.

1. datatrek

datatrek Member

Hi,
    I have modded by V5 ps2 with a magic mod chip and I want to buy gameshark so I can use cheats for my burned game. I am wondering if it is possible.

2. benagain

benagain Regular member

I have a V5 with a Magic 3.1 and I can't play any backups with the gameshark codes. I've asked about it a bunch of times to see if there is anything I can do, but apparently the chip goes to 'sleep' after a few seconds. This makes it impossible for the PS2 to read the backup after you have swapped it for the gameshark disk. The only option I can think of, but I haven't tried it, is to use some sort of swap method to play the backup. I haven't tried it because it's too big of a hassle to deal with the swap method (too many games have trouble with this method compared my magic 3.1). Until it becomes possible for me to play my backups with the cheats, I just don't play with cheats, or I go and dig my original out of the closet and play with it. If you figure out a way to do it, please let us all know.

3. gmensnake

gmensnake Guest

is it true that u cant use gameshark cheats on backed up games??????

4. benagain

benagain Regular member

Well, it's not that it can't be done at all. There's probably several ways you can play backups with cheats (I'm thinking DMS3 could do it, but I'm not sure). As for playing them using a Magic 3.1, I don't think it can be done. I've been trying for over a year and I can't figure out a way to get it to work without some sort of swap method. I'm hoping that someone will tell me I'm wrong and tell me how you can do it, but until someone does, I'm gonna say it can't be done with just the Magic 3.1 chip and a gameshark.

5. datatrek

datatrek Member

I have a V5 PS2 modded with magic 3.1. I have just bough a gameshark v4 and I was able to get my backup game to work with a cheatcode. I have only tried cy girls on the game. I inserted the gameshark disk and select the game and the codes, then I select "Start Game", the first time the I did it, it says that the disk is not bootable. I then press "Start Game" a second time and was able to boot the backup game and have the codes active.

6. datatrek

datatrek Member

I forgot that I started this thread. I have decided to give the gameshark a try and this is how it did it. I also held down X, I don't know if that did anything or not.

7. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

both of my ps2 play backups with codes... i have magic v and dms3... codes on backups work even on non chipped ps2 with swaps...

8. benagain

benagain Regular member

With swap, it just may work with no trouble. I'm starting to think that part of my problem is my gameshark version. I think I'm running version 2, but I'm not sure (it's not the newest, but not the oldest, it has GTA3 codes allready on it). I tried it again the other night. I've been trying to get my hands on a different version and trying it. Like version 1 or version 3, but I haven't found a copy I could try yet without having to buy.