1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GameShark doesn't work on Modded-PS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by chanakber, Mar 19, 2007.

1. chanakber

chanakber Member

My PS2 is modded but my gameshark doesn't work, but it works when I temporarly turn off my mod chip. I don't know which one I have because I had it installed from a store.

Am I ever gonna be able to use gameshark with my backup disks?

2. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

It's probably a old modchip which does'nt support cheat discs can you tell how you DISABLE it?

3. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

It's probably a old modchip which does'nt support cheat discs can you tell how you DISABLE it?

4. chanakber

chanakber Member

Start PS2, put in an orginal disk. Hold reset for about 5-8 secs, Then when it becomes red, let go. Then press it again till you see a blue light in eject LED. Then it turns of the mod chip till you press reset

5. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

I had same way of DISABLING I had a Modchip called RIPPER 4 which did support cheatdiscs.

Maybe steimy can help.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

If it were a Ripper 4 it would be compatible with both gameshark and AR Max. I know my DMS4 Pro works just fine with AR Max although the process is just slightly different then when using original games.

I have to put in AR Max, then instead of just sticking in the back up and letting it figure out which game it is like you would an original, I go into what is called "expert mode". which is where you manually select a game, then manually enable the codes you want. After that is done you press start and it asks to start the game with or without codes. You choose with codes and then it asks for a disc and that is where you stick in the backup. And it loads up a back up with cheats. I only used it a few times as the DMS4 Pro has it's own built in cheat device so i can just store them on my hard drive and use them with games and not even need the AR Max disc. Plus you can use converted codes from AR Max, Gameshark or Codebreaker with it.

The Ripper 3 on the opther hand was only compatible with AR Max and not Gameshark. Problem is not knowing which chip you have. Makes it impossible to tell you why it doesn't work with Gameshark.

7. chanakber

chanakber Member

Would AR MAX or GameShark work even if they were a backup? Just wondering, because my ps2 doesn't psx original disks with the mod chip ON.

8. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

It seems the problem is you don't know the right method of booting discs.
    I was'nt able to play PSX ORIGINAL/BACKUP with my PS2 and not even DVD movies! foryear because of same prob.

9. steimy

steimy Active member

all i can say is that my AR Max works just fine with my DMS4 Pro chip. It will play originals and back ups with cheats enabled.

10. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

Just go back to a store where you installed it from and ask them to tell\check it for you
    (modchip)

11. chanakber

chanakber Member

I would do that but, the store is now closed. Someone bought the plaza where it used to be, now its a restaurant

What would be the right method of booting disks?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  12. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

thereS a article by steimy on Team Modders about boot modes
    heres the LINK.

13. chanakber

chanakber Member

That would help alot, if I knew which modchip I had like I mentioned about.

After reseting couple of times, cleaning the disk. I get it to the PlayStation 2 Logo then It comes to the Insert PS2 or PS Game Screen.

14. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

you can try several of those methods to decide it.

ONLY OTHER WAY IS opening your PS2 and finding it out you can take help from from someone EXPERIENCED or or if you still can't make it out then post a PHOTO of it on AD so WE CAN CHECK IT.