1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming PC spec advice needed

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by JJ_Young, Oct 12, 2014.

1. JJ_Young

JJ_Young Newbie

Hi

I'm thinking about getting my nephew a PC for his Christmas, he currently plays these games on my pc - DayZ, battlefield 4, Counter strike GO, Minecraft, Arma 2, Rift, watchdogs etc so it would need to handle these types of games and newer ones for years to come, Looking for advice on this build, I have asked on other forums but looking for more opinions.

Case
    PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE
    Processor (CPU)
    Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4590 (3.3GHz) 6MB Cache
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte H81M-D2V: Micro-ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
    Memory (RAM)
    8GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card
    4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready
    Hard Disk
    1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
    Disk Drive
    24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
    Power Supply
    CORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY
    Processor Cooling
    Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler (£19)
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
    Wireless/Wired Networking
    10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
    Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Price: £859.00

With the Gigabyte H81M-D2V: Motherboard only supporting 2.0 and the graphics card is 3.0 will that make a difference?

Thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what monitor is he going to use as will need at least a dvi connector on it because of the videocard? go with at least 2 sticks of ram for dual channel. leave the win 8.1 out & get win 10 when it comes out next year.

3. JJ_Young

JJ_Young Newbie

Im not sure what monitor he will use, his mother was thinking about buying him a LG LED CINEMA 3D TV 32LM3400 and was hoping to connect the pc up to that using hdmi, would that work? although it does say the resolution is 1366 x 768 so not sure if the pc will display at 1920x1080?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yes on the hdmi & monitor. which says "the resolution is 1366 x 768", the monitor or the videocard as seems kinda low for either 1?

5. IguanaC64

IguanaC64 Member

If it was my box, I'd buy a Corsair 512gb SSD for my boot drive and a cheaper non-black drive for data. - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282860-32-blue-black'

The video card should work fine (the 4gb is overkill if you're going to be running at that resolution. There are a few games that allegedly use a bit over 2gb with every bell and whistle activated at 1920x1080, if you go over that you start to creep over that 2gb memory limit).

I do notice that your monitor only seems to have VGA and HDMI connections. I'd recommend buying a mhdmi to hdmi cable rather than going VGA (ie, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...MATCH&Description=mhdmi+cable&N=-1&isNodeId=1).

Make sure the CPU heatsink you get will fit inside the case. Those tall CPU heatsinks have issues with some cases.

Power supply should be fine. Card draws 145w...that's going to be your biggest power hog, but you can check your load by going to http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp. This power supply has 2 PCIe power cables so you're good there.

As far as your PCIe v3 card working in a v2.x slot..."So this article is not aimed at these users as all PCIe v3.0, v2.1 and for that matter of fact any PCIe version of card is compatible with PCIe v2.0 slots." -http://www.overclock.net/a/the-final-answer-to-the-controversial-pcie-x16-version-compatibility