1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gap or non gap. Shield problem

Discussion in 'PS2' started by evoke, Mar 31, 2004.

1. evoke

evoke Member

I have a v3 10 screw PS2.It is PAL.i want to install a DMS3 modchip i to my PS2.The problem is i don`t know if i should install it in the gap way or non gap way.how do you tell h
    what way you install it. the schematic pictures are here
    http://www.dms3.com/cgi-bin/dms3/site.pl?page=downloads
    but they don`t tell you what way you should install them.

Does it have something to do PAL and NTSC formats.
    thanks

One more question though? i took apart my PS2 and took out the motherboard. I was doing a check before i thought about installing the dms3 chip.the bottom of the motherboard is stuck to a shield in the playstation that keeps it from any electronic interference around the PS2.

does anyone how to take it apart without breaking the motherboard??i had a good look for it on the internet but it is only part they don`t show you how to take apart.

this is the bottom of the motherboard but the is no shield attached to it...http://www.dms3.com/dms3/files/chips/DMS3_Diagrams/dms3_v3_diagrams/1-v3_total_bl.jpg.

2. evoke

evoke Member

can anyone help me out here.i post in the forum and try to help everyone but no ones wants to help me.i just don`t come in and ask a question and then leave the forum after i get the answer.

does anyone know how many post you have to have done before you are not called a newbie

3. evoke

evoke Member

come on somebody must be able to help

4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I don't really understand your question. As far as installing either the gap way or non-gap way, you really don't have a choice. Your PS2 will either have a BIOS with a gap or not and you have no control over that. Use which ever diagram matches what you have. Any metal shielding that may be around the motherboard does not use any special adhesive to attach it. It may appear to be stuck from being assembled for a long period of time but it should pop off after gently pulling it away.

5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Note also that it is not possible to install the SCEX wire without great difficulty and I seriously doubt you would be able to accomplish it due to the 2nd piece of the power supply being permanately soldered to that side of the mainboard. To my knowledge, nobody here in this forum has successfully been able to accomplish this.

6. evoke

evoke Member

really appreciate your reply. i willl try that later to pull off the the shield.

i don`t know what you mean by the difficulty of soldering the SCEX wire to the board.is it really needed then to solder the wire to the motherboard.

if no one has done it in the fourm then it must not be needed.

i know it is on the other side. what do you mean can you say it again i am really sorry.

i read your last bit but couldn`t understand what you said .

sorry.thanks for your help.

7. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I believe that the SCEX wire is used to boot PS1 backups, however, I'm not 100% certain if connecting it is optional or not. When I say that installing it is next to impossible, I meant that was for v1-3 consoles only. Version 4 and up PS2's use a 2-piece solid-state assembly instead of a 3 and they can be easily pulled apart allowing access to the underside of the motherboard. I know of nobody here that has been able to successfully install the SCEX wire on a v1-3 console and most mod installers that I'm aware of do not install no-swap mods into these older units partly for this reason. Should you choose to proceed with this installation you are in for an extremely difficult challenge.

8. evoke

evoke Member

thanks a million for your help.I might try just installing it and see if it works anyway but if it doesn`t i have to take the challenge.

if i rip the shield off there is that chance i just might break the motherboard in half.

thanks alot for you help