1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gates VS OpenSource

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by staticjun, Mar 2, 2004.

1. staticjun

staticjun Guest

I was wondering... what do you prefer... Windows or Open Source(Linux, etc.)

I personally think that you need to know both, but maybe, in a near future, it will all change to Linux... who knows

2. DMW

DMW Regular member

Wow, endless argument. Its like AMD vs Intel, ATI vs Nvidia and Pizza Hut vs Dominos.
    I personally use windows, but love the idea of open source, I use a linux distro for my firewall and have downloaded about 3 versions of Linux to play with.
    Unfortunately I dont have a lot of time to get my head around it. Used windows for too long now, but one day, I will do it.
    The main advantage to full corporate software is support (you would assume). I personally find M$ Knowledge base a pile of horse sh**e. I had a problem a while back and searched their knowledge base, it told me check RAM, Motherboard and bios settings.
    After a few hours of searching I still couldnt find the answer, yet another site gave me the "simple" solution.
    Im rambling now, so im going to go, will be interesting to see peopls views. I personally am in favour of Linux but a complete windows user. (for now anyway, not enough game support for linux yet, although it is getting there)
    Later.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2004
  3. staticjun

staticjun Guest

I also use windows. But I´ve been reading that a lot of companies have moved from windows to Linux. For example... I´m planning on putting linux on the file server so there are as many connections as needed 'cause Gates asked me 2 buy 10 more licenses for about 1´000 dls.

I think e's crazy, but a lot of programs out there are designed for windows... and there´s not much to do about that

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I use XP and it does everything I need an OS to do. Having said that, I have been doing a lot of reading on Linux as my next OS because of the direction that MS is going with their next OS, Longhorn. There is just too much shady crap going into it for me to even consider it. I've read that Longhorn may include EFI (extensible firmware interface) which is some kind of layer between BIOS and the OS that has the ability to enable DRM.

The more I've gotten into computers the more I've become a fan of open source software - it gives you exactly what you want without shoving useless features down your throat and at a reasonable price or free.

5. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

Neph whats DRM mean??newbie ere in parts of pc's know a bit on other levels ~heh~

6. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

It is horses for courses..

Primary Firewall machine: Smoothwall (Linux)
    Secondary Firewall machine: Win2K Pro + lots of clever stuff
    Security machine that monitors everything: Debian + lots of clever stuff
    Mail Server: Debian/qmail/spamassassin etc.
    Honeypot machine: Windows 98SE
    Workstation: Win2K Pro
    File store: Suse/samba (Linux)
    Film server: Win2K Pro

A couple of development/test machines that can have XP/Novell/Linux etc. etc loaded as required.

As you can see, I use both, just can't beat M$ when it comes to the rip/compress/burn of DVDs though!!!

Have Fun...

7. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

linux is good, use it to do my coding for uni on it. only downside to linux, no [bold] major 3rd party [/bold] companys want to develop for it. Other things its got going for it, its secuirty, stability and up keep.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]My Dog has no nose!
    Then how does he smell?
    AWFUL!!![/small]

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

DaOst - DRM is short for Digital Rights Management a.k.a. copy protection. All this DRM and "trusted computing" garbage takes away more and more of our ability to enjoy our media and use our PC's the way we see fit.

Hopefully with Linux distros becoming easier to use and more people going to it they'll start nagging the majors enough to develop for it.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]