1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gateway DVD Rom reads disks slooooooow

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Unstable, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Unstable

Unstable Guest

Hello,
    I am brand new to this site,but I have been ripping and converting dvd to avi for awhile. 3 months ago, My main computer's power supply burnt out.The computer has set idle for that time. I bough a new case and power supply bout 4 days ago and changed out all of the components. Since that was done, my cd rw/dvd combo drive and my floppy drive have super slow access. I cant copy a dvd w/dvd decrypter, play a dvd, or transfer files from cd to my hard drive at all. my system is a gateway w/p4 2ghz/256mb ram/xp pro. my dvd drive is a HL-DT-St RW/DVD GCC-4320B. I have tried numerous times to rip with this computer with no avail,but if I try to rip on old 400 celeron systemm it works fine.Someday i will upgrade to dvd rw, but for now i am stuck with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try the drives in old system to see if problem follows or not. if not than motherboard might be damaged. check this link, download & run the program to see if ram is damaged but do test with ram in different slots to see if same error code or not. http://www.memtest86.com/

3. Unstable

Unstable Guest

Thanks for the response, but I think I found the problem. When I switched everything to the new case, I used an old IDE cable. After some research on the net, I replaced the old cable with an ultra EIDE cable, and everything seems kosher. Still, I will try your suggestion just to be sure. Thanks again.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem, teach & learn