1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gateway Laptop possibly overheating

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by saxman2k, Sep 28, 2013.

1. saxman2k

saxman2k Member

I have a gateway nv55s07u. It has an amd 3400m apu with radeon hd6520G graphics. I upgraded the ram to 8 gigs ddr3. I have always played high end games on it, but never really gave much though to the APU temp. Recently I discovered that when I am playing games such has Mass Effect 3, Dishonored, Skyrim ETC, the APU temp is hitting around 95C and holding steady at around that. Is this dangerous? I don't know if it is something that has been ongoing or if it is a recent issues that is causing the super high temp.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Kannz

Kannz Regular member

thats 203 degrees fahrenheit... your sure there isn't a nice big pad of dust sitting on top of the apu? there should be just a few tiny plates on the bottom of the laptop where you can just take a few screws out and pop off the cover to the ram and apu area. also I suggest removing the low quality thermal grease with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol and reapplying some nice arctic silver thermal paste.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do you have or can borrow an air compressor to give the laptop a good air cleaning ? also can use a can of compressed air that does same thing. i do that on both laptops & desktops when showing signs of overheating.