1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gateway ML3109 sound drive problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by grishrak, Jan 4, 2012.

1. grishrak

grishrak Member

I can't get sound on my laptop my friend re-installed Vista on it ages ago and told me to just install the sound drive. Now Ive been trying for days and can't seem to get it to work. I had him do it cause my cd drive is dead and I can't boot it on my external cd drive it gets to a certain percent and just said failed to install.

But I downloaded the sound drive zip off of Gateway's support and the read me says

"After you have downloaded and double-clicked the file D20007-003-001, files self-extract and copy into the C:\Cabs\D20007-003-001 folder on the hard drive."

Ive spent the last few hours looking for the C:\Cabs\D20007-003-001 folder and its not anywhere! Does this mean I can't get sound unless I find a way to put Vista back on my computer? If not then where is the C:\Cabs folder located.

My laptop is a Gateway ML3109 with Vista 64-bit

Also I looked everywhere on the internet and the only ones I found from people with the same problem where people that went from Vista back to XP.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. grishrak

grishrak Member

Yeah thats the file I downloaded but I still haven't been able to find the C:\Cabs\D20007-003-001 folder anywhere on my computer because the readme says to put all the files then run the .exe and follow the instructions.

4. ddp

did you extract the files into a folder & double clicked setup.exe in that folder?

5. grishrak

grishrak Member

Yes I put them all in one folder but the readme said to put them in the C:\Cabs folder which is the one I can't find then run the setup.exe

I guess Im just SOL

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  6. ddp

don't need to put them in cabs's folder, just run setup in current folder.