1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GC Noobie Help

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by p4r4, Jan 19, 2005.

1. p4r4

p4r4 Member

Ok - so, I'm pretty network savy so this is turning out to be a frustrating problem.

Today I picked up a Broad Band Adapter and Phantasy Star Online in hopes that I can backup my games.

My network is as follows:

PC:
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

GC:
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.32
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
    Disabled Auto Disconnect

I have a linksys switch/router connecting my home network together. (i've noticed that there is no activity light on the GC port).

PC Side - Start psul utility - Get this output:

PSUL 1.0 Copyright (C) 2003, Titanik of Crazy Nation
    Starting server on 192.168.1.100...
    Waiting for connection...

Fire up Phantasy Star Online, after setting network profile settings try to connect using Online Mode. Can't connect to server.

What am I doing wrong?

2. p4r4

p4r4 Member

Just to add, I've tried this setup using a linksys BEFW11S4 and D-Link DI-604, both setup identically. Also tried disabling DHCP with no luck.

Would the next step be to try Cat5 crossover Adapter to NIC instead of patch to switch/router?

An added note: Using Cubesoft Phoenix 2.2 (build 70)

3. coldasice

coldasice Guest

Okay, first of all the GC Port shouldn't have an activity light. Shouldn't have a light at all. PC will though.

Leave the default gateway and alternate DNS servers blank on your PC settings. These are what your PC settings SHOULD be. DON'T STRAY, Mr.Network know it all!!!:

IP Address: 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Dateway: BLANK

Preferred DNS Server:192.168.1.32
    Alternate DNS server: BLANK

Try those settings before moving to the next step. In any case, make 110% possitive you have Phantasy Star Online and not Phantasy Star Online Plus! It will say it on the disc and on the cover. You can't miss it. I'm not going to explain why it matters. You just need to accept the fact that it does (patch) If you have the Plus version, then go to your nearest game store (or ebay) and purchase the ORIGINAL PSO.

Still nothing? Disable ALL firewalls, hardware and software. Have your Network Connections window open. When you turn on your Gamecube (with ANY game)the little red "X" should disappear letting you know that Gamecube is being recognized. All else fails? Go PC-2-GC via CAT5E Network Crossover Cable. I believe this link will take you to the appropriate place (at the appropriate price) to buy this cable. This is the same place I did:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58302&item=5745313739&rd=1

If STILL no connection after the firewalls being taken down (including the one built into XP) Going from hub to hub, making sure you have the correct version of PSO, then there leaves 2 possibilies. You GC BBA isn't working properly or your PC NIC ain't working properly. I have a Linksys Network as well and it works without flaw. Just break it down peice by peice and troubleshoot it.

4. p4r4

p4r4 Member

Thanks for the reply - Now, as for your advice.

First things first. I tried using the network settings PC side that you suggested (although I'm not sure why you'd use the gamecube as a preferred DNS server since we'd be using it locally) and still no luck with that exact setup.

110% positive I have Phantasy Star Online Episode I&II, if it's plus, I'm unaware, as it's not labeled accordingly.

As far as firewalls go - I'm running 2000 Pro on this PC, no software or "built-in" firewall as you suggested. No other firewall exists on this network besides the one built into the router to the internet, which wouldn't interfere local traffic (192.168.x.x defualt internal range)AFAIK, but still added to a DMZ, just to verify that.

Still nothing.

Which leaves the last two things before I try a crossover cable, the NIC onboard the PC is fine, I use it daily. The BBA is questionable, but I have a gurantee on it if it does turn out to be the problem.

I'll make a crossover cable at work in the morning and see if there is a difference.

Again, thanks for the help, any other suggestions apperciated.

5. coldasice

coldasice Guest

Good deal; let me know how it goes. By the way, I made Gamecube my preferred DNS server because that's what the tutorial says. :p I find that SOMETIMES when I follow directions, things tend to work out for me. :p

6. p4r4

p4r4 Member

Able to connect up with the crossover cable.
    Attempting to backup games now.