1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GCA-4040N

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Reaper599, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Reaper599

Reaper599 Member

A few months ago someone wrote"
    "I have a HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GCA-4040N Drive. It has worked perfectly reading and writing. Now when I put a disk in and close the drive, the drive seems to be loading and it does it's thing and the humming noise and then it just stops and nothing happens. In My Computer where it should always show what's in the drive or if it's empty, whether it's empty or not the drive now shows the same disk all the time, the particular disk it shows is my Lord of the Rings disk. It never updates when something else is in there no matter how much I refresh it."

I have the same drive and the same problem. what the heck is going on

Rob

2. Arkadiusz

Arkadiusz Member

I had the same problem with the same drive in my Pavillion zd7000 laptop. Go to Microsoft help and find how to enable autorun in registry. It tells you how to enable it in windows registry (changing '0' to '1' in one of the keys) dont remember the details.If you cant find it try hp help or sent another msg & I will try to find it for you. Arek

3. Arkadiusz

Arkadiusz Member

I found one fix from Microsoft try it:
    CD-ROM Does Not Run Automatically After You Insert It into Your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Drive
    View products that this article applies to.
    Article ID : 312475
    Last Review : December 20, 2004
    Revision : 1.2
    This article was previously published under Q312475
    IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
    On this page
    SYMPTOMS
    CAUSE
    RESOLUTION
    MORE INFORMATION
    APPLIES TO

SYMPTOMS
    When you insert a CD-ROM that contains an Autorun.inf file into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, the CD-ROM may not start and run automatically as expected.

Additionally, when you right-click the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive in Windows Explorer or My Computer, the AutoPlay command may be missing from the shortcut menu.

This behavior occurs even when the Auto Insert Notification check box is selected in the CD-ROM settings of Device Manager.
    Back to the top

CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if the following registry key contains incorrect values for the NoDriveTypeAutoRun entry:
    HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    Back to the top

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, edit the NoDriveTypeAutoRun entry in the Windows registry so that it displays the correct value. To do this, follow these steps.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Run box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Locate the following registry key:
    HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    4. In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, locate the NoDriveTypeAutoRun entry.
    5. Edit the entry to display the following correct binary value in the Value data box:
    NoDriveTypeAutoRun 0000 95 00 00 00
    To do this, right-click NoDriveTypeAutoRun, and then click Modify. Under Value data, type 95 00 00 00, and then click OK.

6. On the Registry menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.

4. Reaper599

Reaper599 Member

Well I thank you for your reply but still after you fix it still doesnt work... its not that it doesnt autorun... it just doesnt read some disks... new ones old ones and burned ones... its all random... but one disk that doesnt work will continue to not work. HELP

Rob