1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GCOS 1.3

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by ssjowowo, Mar 1, 2005.

1. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

check out this
    http://xtremeconsole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=79
    GCOS 1.3 is a complete alternative to cobra bios and it offers more! you can backup your games, force games to be played in any region you like(yes! i can finally play all ntsc games in pal without problems) backup dols and elfs from both dvd and sd! it is available in both .dol and .vgc to be flashed directly to viper gc. i've flashed it and it rocks. no problems whatsoever with dres (at least in my games..tried over 20 games)

2. molton

molton Member

I guess I posted my, "anybody tried GCOS" thread just to soon, that's great, does it work better for games than the cobra bios for the viper? Does it play games with streaming audio that comes out as noise with the cobra bios? How does it work the disc switch, is it a pain like the cobra bios, does it give you as much time as you want to switch the discs? That's sweet that this thing is open source, this will probably be better than cobra eventually if it's not already.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  3. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

when you select what play backup game there's a screen saying press a button when you want to start the swap process. you press the button when you are ready and the disc reads the original game first, then stops and in 8-10 secs it reads the backup. then before the game begins there's a choise of what format you want the game to be displayed(NTSC, PAL50, PAL60). that's the whole process but it's worth it. i found it to be more stable than cobra in terms of dres. the noise problem is still there however. but in all it's a more complete choice than cobra bios

4. molton

molton Member

Sweet, that does sound better than cobra, cobra's disk swap is similar but it gives you less than 8 seconds and you have to hit boot dvd within a certain time frame after startup or it won't work at all. cool, I'll have to check this out, probably soon they'll add the option to save a default NTSC/PAL setting.

5. molton

molton Member

I tried it, it works really well. The swap always works and it gives you about 5 more seconds. It also has the backup utility built into it so you only need a BBA and a viper to backup games and it has other new features too. If your using an NTSC gamecube hit down, down, A to change the videomode option from pal to ntsc, you only have to do it once though.

6. molton

molton Member

One bug I found is after the disc switch if you don't select ntsc or pal quick enough it freezes sometimes, it only happened to me when I got distracted in the middle of the process and gave it far to much time anyway, they should let you pick a default region and pick if it automatically uses it, if it doesn't it should pick the default if the time for choosing it runs out

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  7. molton

molton Member

I'm actually working on a custom GCOS 1.3 build, they include the source code, I'll post it if I get it to compile right... I hate these freaking makefiles

8. Mattercat

Mattercat Member

Alright i have GCOS working just fine except i was wondering i have the backup of double dash and it is Pal. When i force it to run in NTSC it comes back with a solid green screen. I know the disc is burned properly because pal runs put is black and white with horrible lines. Does anyone know why i get that

Green Screen??

9. -Geforce-

-Geforce- Member

I'm going to flash this on my Viper... I've got Memorex DVD-R minis which do NOT read on my cube... cobra 0.3. Maybe they do run on GCOS...

10. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I found some info when I went to gcmods on mirc for the GCoS next version.The next version might have a Action Replay technique.I talked to Shadowsan and he said that he is working on a technique which could enable codes to work on games.I was actually suprised to hear this,and didn't really think much of the technique described.Shadowsan mentioned a reset button hack that might be the answer.I have no clue still when the next release will come out,but I am sure they will have it in top notch condition.They said that they didn't plan on rushing it this time,and it makes sense to me.The Action Replay technique might and might not be released on the next version,Shadowsan clearly explained to me that it could take him some time to get it to work.It could be months from now,and then again it could be on the next release.I am pretty happy with what I got now,but to top off everything they are working on a Action Replay code function technique.I am patient and can wait for the next release.GCoS has alot of bugs worked out of it which is what I was told also.I think the next GCoS is going to be top of the line for no-mod users.

Peace L-Burna

11. molton

molton Member

GCOS also skips the nintendo logo, it goes right from the bios to the game.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  12. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

The logo of GCoS is in the works from gcmods.They are having a logo competition to see who has the best logo.Then they are going to pick the one that suites them,and put it on GCoS.The competition is going on mirc on channel #gcmods if anyone is interested in making a logo for it.

13. molton

molton Member

14. -Geforce-

-Geforce- Member