1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geeks help me! Please!

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by icett, Aug 1, 2007.

1. icett

icett Guest

I have Pentium 4 pc with three hard disk partitions "C", "D" & "E". Today I installed Linux Ubuntu and that corrupted everthing. "C" had Windows 98 SE, "D" Windows XP Pro and "E" was empty where I thought to install Linux Ubuntu. After that my XP could not load as it could not find its root. Also after Ubuntu's installation I was unable to see its data through my Windows 98 se which fortunately survived.I formatted XP as well as the "E" drive where I thought Linux Ubuntu was installed but to my surprise when I restarted the PC Grub selector again came up and Ubuntu was there. From Ubuntu I saw a small section of the harddrive where its data was present but I could not format it. Now I wish to format my complete hard drive including Linux Ubuntu and recreate three equal partitions (which I don't know since in technical terms I am a layman), reinstall Windows 98 se and Windows XP Pro which I know how to, and restore my system. I request humbly to the geeks here to please guide me step by step as to how I could do that as I am unaware of technical things and commands etc. I need your help! Please help me!

2. deadlove

deadlove Guest

!.. Not a geek.. a geek-girrrrlll

2.. start by booting with the doze98 disk.. and delete all the partitions and start again. rule of thumb is oldest OS first.

3. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

we the linux users are not geeks! also that made me feel better! im only 13 and i sucessfully did a dual boot with vista and ubuntu, i agree with the guy above bout the 98 disc thing

4. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Reload.. Hi.. how are you getting along?.. I remember you starting out with linux..

Not a guy.. a regular contributor of tech articles to geek-girls news pages.

What I read was.. you need to put 98 on a partition first, then xp ojn another, at which point the xp bootloader should detect the 98 install and add it to a boot options menu. It's been a really long time since I had anything to do with windows..

Why did ubuntu go wrong?? possibly because there was an attempt by it to write to NTFS partitions which is risky (regardless of what is being said.. NTFS still isn't really supported natively) Usually what happens with an ubuntu/xp dual boot is xp takes over and kills grub at some point.. usually by some system restore process/fix mbr attempt.

As always with situations like this.. google is your best friend.
    Happy hunting ;-)

5. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

deadlove im doing great with linux. i got a new machine with vista on it so set up dual boot so its going quite good. thanks for asking :D can i pm u if have any problems?

6. deadlove

deadlove Guest

You certainly can. If this account dies Auslander knows where to find me ;-)