1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geforce3 tv out

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by GeForce1, Mar 13, 2005.

1. GeForce1

GeForce1 Member

I've seen topics similar to this elsewhere, but haven't solved my problem following there instructions. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm trying to use the svideo on my Geforce3 card to watch divx/avi videos on my tv. The tv reads a test pattern when the computer is on and plugged to the tv with an svideo cord. however I get no video.

I've set the tv as my primary monitor in my geforce properties setup (which after restarting, i lost the option to do, I believe the video card is reading my monitor as the tv now, fixing that would be nice too) and have restarted several times. btw - i have a viewsonic a75f monitor.

i got it to work on my roommate laptop, with a geforce5200 card. all we had to do was plug it in and hit fn crt/lcd - is there a desktop equivolent for that?

any help would be much appreciated. i'd be happy to supply more information if needed. thanks.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

A TV is a primitive device, not to be confused with any type of computer display whether glass or LCD.
    A TV display is interlaced, refreshing in the PC equivalent of what would be 30Hz, and is limited to the equivalent of 640x480 resolution.
    Your best bet for playback would be 640x480 desktop (32 bit colour is OK) with 60Hz refresh.
    A 1.85:1 title on AVI would be a good candidate, with a dimension of 640x352.
    A 2.35:1 (widescreen) title sized 672x304 might be problematic, both for your TV and your desktop :)
    The TV-out on video boards modifies the output, 'dumbing it down' to TV standards - this is often incompatible with the display of high-res and/or non-interlaced content (as you have observed).
    What you need is a nice 19" computer monitor! You'll then forget about that TV unless it is vey large... LoL
    Regards