1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

general boot problem question.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by redZoneOS, Jan 3, 2008.

1. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

If a computer won't startup at all, what is the most likely issue, and is there any way to find out FOR SURE that it is one component and not multiple components?

A friend of mine's computer won't start anymore. No new installations of any kind, hardware or software. just won't start. I tried taking everything out except mobo, RAM, CPU, and PSU. still nothing.

I thought power supply at first but the ALL fans work (the PSU fan, cpu fan, and even fans that are directly attached to the motherboard.) Also I get a light when i push the power button.

Soooo... I believe I reduced the chances of it being a PSU, and maybe even the motherboard (since the fan attached directly to it works?)

Can it be the RAM or CPU? How can I know for sure? Or can it STILL be the motherboard/psu??

It's not a grounding issue since I took everything out including the power supply and tested it static free outside the box.

2. sparksman

sparksman Member

I would start by trying the RAM. Does it have 1 stick or 2? If it has 2 then remove 1 stick and try booting it up that way. If that doesn't work then try the other stick. Also try putting them in different slots. If still nothing, try taking all the RAM out and booting. The MB should have enough memory to boot to bios. If that doesn't work then your MB is bad. The lights and fans can still work on the MB and it still be basically dead. Hope this helps.

3. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

thanks man for your response on my other post and this as well. I checked out the mobo you recommended (in the other post). In fact using the specs to search other brands I was able to find a very similar ECS mobo for 22 dollars after rebate :p

Anyway with this question. I tried to boot without RAM too but I still get the same situation as before. I guess I'll be buying another mobo for my friend as well.

Is there any chance it can be the CPU, and anyway to check b4 I order?

Also, if the mobo went bad or fried, what are the chances the other components got destroyed because of it? I mean if everything is bad, I might as well tell him to buy upgraded parts (instead of another mobo like the one listed above!)

4. sparksman

sparksman Member

In my experiences I never had trouble with other components. But you are right, there is always that possibility. I would start with the MB and see if everything else works with it. More than likely it is just the MB and your other components, ie CPU, RAM will be fine. I seriously doubt that the CPU is bad. I have seen these same circumstances over and over and it is 99% MB. Glad you found a cheaper MB!