1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Concerns

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Kotik, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Kotik

Kotik Member

First of all I would like to say that I have only been researching on how I could "mod" (if that is a correct term) my PSP for 2-3 hours now so I am absolutely new to this and most of the stuff I would be asking or saying might already have been asked or said previously although I haven't been able to find anything on my main concern.

That been said, lets get down to business. I am a 1 month old owner of a PSP (Motherboard IC6001) with the firmware 2.81. I have been spending a couple of hours reading different guides on how I can get PSP games downloadable off various websites all around the internet. Now reading those guides I basically had 2 different concerns, or questions if you may...

1. My PSP is not of the motherboard type (TI-082) which all the guides are directed towards. Am I still fine trying to copy those firmwares and homebrews etc onto my IC6001 without permanently damaging anything? Safety first, right?

2. I currently have a 2 gig memory card in my PSP which is mostly empty apart from saved games and a few songs and pictures, and I have another 52 meg (i think) that was shipped along with the PSP itself. Are firmwares stored in the memory card or in the PSP system itself? In other words, should I maybe first test try the whole modding mombo-jumbo on the 52 meg memory card before actually trying it on my primary memory card playing it safe and not sabotaging any memory stored?

3. Does the version of your firmware play a very important role in the process? The only two guides I have come across explains the modding from a firmware 2.71 point of view. What I mean is do I have to downgrade my 2.81 firmware to 2.71 before anything else or is that not of much importance?

Once again I apologize as these questions might be stupid and a waste of most of yours time but we all start from the bottom, right? :) Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Any help is VERY much apprecated.
    Kotik

2. Kotik

Kotik Member

By the way, if any links to guides or ANY other link that could help me on my way of my first successful mod would be VERY much appreciated.

3. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

Wow! A newbie that isn't a dumbass, thank god.

Anyways, the firmware is stored on the PSP itself, so you can't mess your memory stick up. And your motherboard IS a TA-082 because that's how you tell if it is one. (If it has IC1006 or whatever) You have three options. Buy/Rent/Check if you have GTA LCS The Unpatched Version. You can tell it's unpatched if it has the 2.00 update. Or Lumines the unpatched version, you can tell if it's unpatched by it if doesn't have a 3.51 update. OR you can use the Pandora's battery, the only problem is you need someone with an already modded PSP to help you out. For GTA LCS, you will downgrade from 3.03, for the Lumines, you will downgrade from 3.50. For the Pandora's battery, you can downgrade from ANY firmware. Your current firmware cannot be downgraded currently without the use of a certain game, with the exception of Pandora's battery. Good Luck.

Here is a good downgrading guide, but it doesn't include info on the Pandora method. http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-hacks-9/t-guidethe-ultimate-downgrader-guide-90916.html
    And you can find information on Pandora by looking here: http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/pandoras-battery.html

UPDATE: Here's a Pandora guide. http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-hacks-9/...any-psp-using-the-pandora-battery-118789.html

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  4. Kotik

Kotik Member

Cannot thank you enough for those links. Very handy, cheers!

Seeing as I do not currently have 2x Battries to my disposal I think I will have to wait till I can run and buy another one. But after having read the pandora's battery guide I was still unclear about somethings. What happens to the battery that you convert into a Pandora's Battery? Will it unbrick ANY psp you attach it to? What if you run it on an already unbricked PSP?

Sorry but I just want to be clear on what "technically" happens to that battery as I'm pretty much clueless in that field :)

Thanks in advance!

Edit: A non-firmware related question. When i go to Start>Run>Cmd it gives me an error "The command prompt has been disabled by the Administrator". Funny thing is I AM the administrator. Any ideas? :p

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  5. Agrajag

Agrajag Member

The battery has a small amount of firmware/code in it, this is changed by the Pandora program. When you insert the modified battery into any PSP you get options that include write new PSP firmware from mem card, restore battery from saved firmware. You can't run a PSP normally from a "modded" battery, but after restoring the battery's firmware, it behaves just like a normal battery.

Just remember to save the battery's firmware so you can restore it afterwards.

As for unbricking any PSP? If it was bricked by a failed update or corrupted firmware, then the battery should allow you to fix it...

6. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

The Pandora battery has a different "eeprom" code written to it, to allow it access to flash. (Agrajag said firmware - Not true)

It can unbrick any bricked PSP, and downgrade any firmware PSP.

With the CMD question, try looking into your user settings, see if there are any options that might stop the "The command prompt has been disabled by the Administrator" message.

And as glenquag said, well done for looking stuff up :)
    You wouldn't believe the amount of people that ask stupid questions (You're not one of them).

The best thing to do is upgrade to the custom firmware 3.52 M33 after you've downgraded to 1.50, it'll let you do some extra stuff you can't do on 1.50. Ask if you want a guide on how to do that.

7. Kotik

Kotik Member

Thanks for the informative responses. Has helped me understand the whole unbricking and firmware downgrading / upgrading process. Can't thank you guys enough.

But the one and only thing that I still am unclear about is what "Agrajag" said in his reply. "You can't run a PSP normally from a "modded" battery, but after restoring the battery's firmware, it behaves just like a normal battery. Just remember to save the battery's firmware so you can restore it afterwards."

Could anyone send me some information / link on how I could restore a pandora bettery to a normal battery? Been searching for an hour now with finding people saying that you can do it but no information on "how" to do it.

Thanks in advance!
    Kotik

8. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

To recover your battery to "normal" mode, before you convert it you need to press triangle on the "Battery Making App" menu screen, this will write your eeprom code to your memory card root, it will then exit the program, after that, you can make the battery.

When you want to restore the battery, turn the PSP on using a power cord (with no battery or mem card in the PSP). Then when it's loaded, put the pandora battery and mem card in. Run the Battery Making App once more, and press L + R, this will write the original eeprom code (the one at the memory stick root) back to the battery.

You can then use it normally again.