1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

general questions about modding a new PS2

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by Bagelbot, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Bagelbot

Bagelbot Member

Alright, so I got a pre-modded PS2 (v12) like 2 years ago, and the laser died on me 5 times. Each time I would tweak the laser to get new life out of it. But on the 4th time it completely died. I got a laser replacement but that only lasted a couple months as well. (Yes I have the laser fix installed, and yes I only used the best media)I'm tired of this BS and I'm thinking of modding a new console.

So I'm thinking a getting a brand new v16 (they're the newest right?) with a XenoPS modchip installed. Are the v16's lasers known to have problems? Is the XenoPS the best chip for a v16? Perhaps a Crystal chip would b better? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I want to make sure I won't run into any more problems. I just want to play my games!!

2. ndtoall

ndtoall Member

Hey,

I'm pretty sure the v12 were the only versions that needed the laser fix. Of course, it can burn out in ANY PS2, but I think those were the most problematic.

Crystal Chips look pretty good, but so do Matrix Infinity's... I had my eye on a DMS4 Pro, but seems the dev teams MIA.

Nd

3. Bagelbot

Bagelbot Member

Thanks for the reply,
    I had a DMS4 before, and I don't think I'm gonna go with them again... so is that a no go on the XenoPS?

4. ndtoall

ndtoall Member

hmm, don't know anything about the XenoPS, I found a review on a german forum, but can't find a store that actually sells them. So... I'm not sure, could be a great chip, but looks like it will be hard to find support for if needed.

Maybe some1 else has experience with one (or at least knows where some info on them are?)

Nd

5. steimy

steimy Active member

here is my 2 cents, take it for what you will.
    Skip the V16 all together. Not that they are bad it is just that slimline models have limitations as to how far you can mod them.
    Go to teammodders.com and look into getting a used, premodded V7 (best model they ever made in my opinion). Get it with either a Crystal Chip V2.0 or DMS4 Pro SE, Matrix Infinity Green Dot is another great choice but i am not sure if it has any programs or firmware for running a hard drive. you will have to look into that one. Then as long as you have a network adapter for it and a sompatible hard drive (internal IDE type just like a PC) you will have the ultimate system.

I know, I know. You don't want a used system. You want a new one. Well having an internal hard drive to run all your games, a model with a real strong laser, and a model that last a long time (i still have my V7 from when they first came out) far outweighs the few scratches and dinks the case may have getting it used. The Hard drive will give you faster loading time, save wear and tear on both your DVD Drive and laser, and is just all around the best mod choice i made.

Teammodders.com is the place to go in the USA (tell em' steimy sent ya, LOL)