1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General RAM question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by zenarrrow, Apr 7, 2005.

1. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I have a 256 MB total ram with only 40.43 availible what could be taking up so much of it? I am clueless here. I really haven't done too much on my pc. I don't know if I should delete stuff or what. Any info would be greatful. Thanks ---zen-->

2. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

How old is your comp? what operating system?? have you used crt alt del and see what program are running? and my other adivce would be to get another stick

3. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Ok sorry should have posted info, it is about 3 and a half yrs old windows xp. Ok on my task manager what exactly am I looking for there? Thank you very much liez4love

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Your display, will share memory (if it is onboard, you can change the amount in the CMOS setup)

Your main area would be that Liez4Love mentioned, what programs have you starting up and running in the background?

ie, antivirus, spyware monitoring, desktop background picture other than defaults, resolution for your graphics etc etc

And also that has been mentioned to upgrade your memory aswell - double it...........

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  5. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK guys thanks for all the help I think I will put another 256 in. Next question, I live in Wyoming in a small town with no Computer stores know where I could order some from? And is it very hard to install? ---zen---> I have gone into msconfig and shut down all start up programs so only thing running is opened when I use it. How do I get to CMOS? Also how can I change the virtual memory?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

could try newegg.com or tigerdirect.com. install the ram is not hard but make certain you have correct ram for your motherboard as there is various types of ram. check your motherboard manual for the type of ram used in your computer. if clone computer, at post screen press the "del" button to enter the bios which is the cmos chip that holds info of of time, date, boot sequence & other things. check manual about changing things in your bios

7. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Thanks guy's I appreciate it I am not vey litterate but I want to be!! Guess their is only one way to learn huh?
    I don't get thatclone comp?

8. ddp

a clone computer is either 1 you built yourself or a local computer store built 1. a name brand computer is IBM, Dell. HP, Compaq, Gateway or whatever

9. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

It is just a dell 4550 bought from QVC (don't laugh please) Really have't done much on it 'till recently now I am really starting to appreciate it and enjoy it so any matinence sugestions would be helpful. Can I check the cmos on this? Also went once to my virtual memory once and was able to change it but for got how to get there?

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

The CMOS and BIOS terms are actually the same, it is just that some people prefer to use either or.
    If you asked me which one is the correct term, then I would say the CMOS, because the BIOS is the information, and the CMOS is the user definable parameters.

When you first power on the PC, it runs a small hardware test called the POST - Power On Self Test.
    During this routine, there maybe a message on the display saying something like 'press del, F1 to enter setup'.....This is the CMOS/BIOS setup.

Here you will find alot of basic information for your PC such as HD installed, time/date and amount of memory installed and much more.
    If your not too 'savvy' have a look around it and get familiar with it.
    There should be a setting in there regarding memory to be shared (if you have onboard video, not a seperate card), decreasing that will of course free up memory but you will lose resolution on your monitor.

What operating system is on it, as the virtual memory is in various places depending on your operating system.

Windows 98/ME
    Right click My computer
    Click on properties
    Click on performance tab
    Click on virtual memory
    There you can alter the amount.

Windows XP
    Right click My computer
    Click on properties
    Click on advanced
    Click on peformance
    Click on virtual memory
    There you can alter the amount.

Trouble with utilising alot of virtual memory all the time, is that it does increase time, as the CPU has to address the harddrive as memory and load up the information from one area of the disc to the 'virtual memory' area.

Go with the Ram upgrade

Hope this helps................

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  11. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Thank you very much I love to learn stuff like this, that is why I like this forum cause people like you. I just opened my PC memory looks like a breeze to install. I just want to get the right kind I wrote this down off my memory stick in there: "Infin
    eon 32mx64x64 sdram" should I just buy SDRAM is that enough info to purchace more? ---zen-->

12. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I cannot tell what type of ram it is from that label.
    You could do with consulting your motherboard manual to find out exactly what type of ram your motherboard accepts.

Here is an excellent link for ram terminology and all the different types.

http://www.computermemoryupgrade.net/types-of-computer-memory-common-uses.html

You may locate the pictures or references to the type you are running at the link above.
    If it is sdram, I would presume you are using PC133 (1 cutout on the terminal strip), if it is ddr then it will have 2 cutouts.

13. ddp

baabaa, it is the reverse, 1 notch is ddr slightly off center & 2 notches is sdram.
    zenarrrow, you are using ram manufactured by infineon, sdram by your description

14. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Bugger me, Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha................

What a complete typo f?:mad: up.............cheers for pointing that out.

Man if you had seen me whilst I was typing that post out, I had that link up I posted, and also had sdram and ddr ram in my hands.........and I still typed it in wrong.....................No hope for the sheep is there.............

@zenarrow
    Listen to ddp, ingore me cos I am a complete mong..............LOL

15. s2a

s2a Regular member

can sum1 mention a few Brands that sell ram?

16. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I've went to newegg.com and searched memory, I've also just went to my computers manfg website and went by my spec's.

17. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Kingston, Crucial, Geil seem to be the favoured ones.

18. s2a

s2a Regular member

wer in canada, quebec, montreal can I get RAM at a good price..

19. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Sorry can't help you with that, I am from the UK.

If ddp is still, around, I think he is Canadian and maybe able to point you to somewhere.

The ones I stated our common ones, so I would assume they are readily available in your neck of the woods.

20. ddp

i get mine from a computer store in markham on the northside of toronto