1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Generetic is useless

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by AnlaShok, Jan 21, 2008.

1. AnlaShok

AnlaShok Member

Generetic is saying database restored now and I still cannot get on. Forget this site in any case as it is screwed up. I am a paid member and since continuing my membership in October last year I have not been allowed access, they took my money though.
    Try Customaniacs instead, they have not got so many covers as Generetic and they are very pedantic about the quality of uploads before you can upload freely but the site can only grow given the mess that is Generetic!

2. swneily

swneily Member

I would also recommend DVDCoverArt.org. They are offering Generetic members who lost money 3 months of free access.

Even without the free access, they only charge $12 dollars a year. The site is very stable and most important, they have a huge database of high quality covers and labels. They have almost 15,000 covers and over 12,000 labels.

They have some well known artists who are Resident Artists on the site. The owner of the site is retired, so he spends most of his time on the site. He lowered his subscription price from $14 to $12, and actually gave $2 dollar refunds to those who paid too much.

The integrity of the owner is beyond question in my book. You simply can't go wrong being a member of this site.

3. AnlaShok

AnlaShok Member

Great bit of info that swneily, will go there to take a look immediately.

cheers.

4. bazzah

bazzah Member

come to www.HiResCovers.net. We have been offering the 3 month free access since Generetic went down. And now Generetic is no longer, we have the biggest database of covers, which are all quality controlled. So if you are a member of Generetic, you can get 3 months free access, or pay just €12 a year for unlimited access. Oh, and we also have over 25,000 movie posters and resources, and been around for years( and cyber clown is a moderator there) ;)

5. swneily

swneily Member

From what I hear, HiResCovers is a nice site, but they don't have the largest database of covers that they claim, especially when you add in the high quality collection of scans that DVDCoverArt.org has in addition to their collection of High Quality Custom Covers and Labels.

Only one person evaluates all submissions for inclusion into their database, and that is DVDCoverArt himself. That ensures the best quality control possible.

When it comes to well known Resident Artists, the list, which is extensive, speaks for itself.

€12 also equates to a lot more than $12 dollars a year.

Even more important than the total number of Covers, is the quality and stability of the site itself. DVDCoverArt has had one owner, its founder. I can't think of any other major site that can make that claim. If you consider what happened to DaProgger and Generetic, stability becomes an important factor.

If you like a friendly family atmosphere, then you won't find a more welcoming site than DVDCoverArt.org.

6. bazzah

bazzah Member

DVDCoverArt does not have many 'Top Artists', nor does it have a very large databese in comparison to HiResCovers.net, and neither does it have a user friendly interface for covers. What it does have, is nice frinedly atmosphere, and a nice guy running the site (DVDCoverArt is a really nice guy) But databases speak for themselves ;)

My post wasn't a dig at any other cover site. I am one of the site admins that encourages people to use ALL of the sites, and not just one. Remember, for most of us, this is a hobby.

7. swneily

swneily Member

DVDCoverArt.org currently has 24 Resident Artists on their site. DVDCoverArt does not ask anyone to work exclusively for them, which is why Some are also Artists on HiRes. And yes, many of them are very well known.

The layout of DVDCoverArt.org is easy to access. The pages are laid out like a photo album. If you want to see all the work from a particular Artist or submitter, simply click on their name under the thumbnail image. I don't know how much easier it can get.

If you want to download an image, simply click on the small thumbnail, which takes you to a larger version of the image, and then double click the image to download. The display and download system on HiRes is almost identical to DVDCoverArt's, so if DVDCoverArt.org is difficult to navigate, then HiRes must be as well.

DVDCoverArt.org lists separately how many Covers and Labels it has. Rejected files are removed from the database. HiRes simply lists the total number of files they have. Rejects that remain on their site for download are part of their total.

So let's look at the total number of files for each site.

As of today, at this moment:

25,883 for HiRes (includes more than just covers & labels)
    27,379 for DVDCoverArt.org (Covers & Labels only)

The reason I responded to Bazzah's post was because of accuracy. If you claim to have the largest database of covers and labels, make sure that you do. I would give you a list of the Resident Artists, but you would find the statement about them to be inaccurate as well.

Here is what really matters:

Both are great sites. In many ways, these two sites are very much alike. They are both well respected and deservedly so. They have both done a lot for the cover community. They have succeeded where so many others have failed.

what it all really comes down too are the potential members and what their preferences are. I know for a fact that a lot of people are members of both sites, including Resident Artists. With the downfall of Generetic, I believe this is a good thing when you consider the size of their database and the fact that it is no longer available to anyone.

DVDCoverArt.org and HiRes have proven themselves to be honest and trustworthy, which is all that really matters in the end.

8. DVDCA

DVDCA Member

A member of my site told me about a debate between My site and HiResCovers.

First of all, I am the only one qualified to represent my site.

Secondly, I would never engage in a debate about who has the better site. There is a place for everyone.

I consider Bassah a friend, he is also a member of my site, as I am his. I have the utmost respect for him and what he has done with HirResCovers since taking it over.

I would ask that this type of debate end and simply let people make up their own mind. Each site has its strengths and weaknesses. In the long run, it really boils down to personal preference.

9. bazzah

bazzah Member

heh - I couldn't have said it better myself buddy :)