1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gericom External DVD Writer

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by vitascope, Mar 5, 2005.

1. smithpe

smithpe Member

Hi, I have been following this thread for some time as I too purchased a Gericom USB2 & Firewire external DVD enclosure. There seems to have been that many suggestions to date, but no clear single fix for everones problems. As the initial problem seemed to stem from the coasters created when trying to cread CD-R as opposed to DVD-X, that is where I began to look first. My set up uses Firewire or USB 1.1 on Win 2003 Server. I have managed to burn a couple of Data CD-R's from ISO's without problems. Burning MP3's as files also works without problems. However when you try to burn audio tracks from MP3's(or mixed sources), this is where problems begin. Nero appears to hang at 5-6% and makes no further progress in the burn cycle. I have tried numerous combinations and finally called Gericom. They stipulate that CPU's [bold] MUST[bold] be a minimum of 2 GIG, to process the overhead of audio conversion and to be able to manage IO.

So my conclusion to my problem is just return it and buy a beter one from www.bigpockets.co.uk for £5.00 more.

2. hiero

hiero Member

Hi All

I have been experimenting with my Gericom external DVD from Aldi again too. I have had mixed results but using a DVD +RW disk have had a lot of burn fails, until I reduced the chunks of data to below 500Mb at a time. It then burns at 4x OK even under USB 1...

Disappointingly, my Thinkpad T23 can't read the resulting disk in the standard DVD/CD drive! Any pointers here??