1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get Rid of The Console Forum Rooms

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by borhan9, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

Look i dont think some of you know the reason for the tread i was talking about.The tread was asking for Anyone who had a PS3 to add there Online tag so if anyone of us could linkup thats all.How can i PM someone if i dont know if they even have a system.Its was a simple tread that all Creaky close it end of story.But someone made another tread just like it this morning thats why i posted what i posted to creaky because it was a helpful tread if it wasn't then why would someone start another this morning.

This rant was not directed at janrocks.But what i posted is a real problem here i see alot of this from Senior members & Addict.For EX.went a newbie post something in the wrong forum or ask a question that sometime go away a little bit some of these member lash out at them.There is not need for this & i see it just about everyday.Its not my job or any Senior members & Addict to correct someone if there wrong its the Mods.

Your preaching to the choir Brotha! ! !

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Thanks creaky and Ripper.. If you look back over my 2 years membership here one thing will become glaringly obvious.. I don't start meaningless threads. Over 2 years I have only made 2..yup 2 threads.. One on a very arcane linux module question which had no answers..and one on a weird k3b burning bug. I don't detect much in the way of junk posts there.
    As for "playing mod".. As site admin of 3 sets of forums, and the ex admin of a world reknowned site I know full well what a moderatrors job is and leave them too it.
    If you think I was being critical of your previous post..then that's probably because that's just what I was being. I'm thoroughly sick of people whining on about whatever pointless thread it is being closed. the mods don't close things without good reason and a line has to be drawn somewhere. I see people who have been here less than 6 months now flaunting addict status whithout ever contributing more than rubbish or pointless already covered threads.
    I left AD for a while..nearly 3 months... because of just this sort of whining and arguing. When I walked I was pleaded with by staff members and addicts..friends all..not to leave, but to be honest at that time I was thoroughly sick of the place. Heres the lowdown.. I came back because I was asked very nicely by a member here to return as they felt the site had recovered from it's troubles that caused me to leave..and they felt my input was important.. So I'm here, out of the goodness of my heart and respect for a senior member who wants me to contribute my knowledge to help where I can. This is not unconditional on my psrt.. I decided that any abous, name calling or arguing would be the final straw and IF it happened again then I would leave for good and cancel my account..
    As this is in the safety valve i'm prepared to talk about things a little more freely than I would in the help forums, where wittering on and pointless posting is..IMHO..a waste of time, space and bandwidth.
    Now you may think this is coming with no small amount of attitude on my part.. Probably also correct. I feel that as an ex member who was hassled into coming back I have some right to say things like I see them, and if people don't like the truth then stuff them.. Respect can only be earned..not demanded, and after 20+ years from the very early days of the bb messageboards, before the internet until now there have always been the pointless space wasting, full of themselves idiots..and the responsible, respectful, helpful posters. That's the point.. I treat everybody with the same respect until they either prove themselves not worthy of any..or get the point and start to act like mature adults. I have seen plenty of pointless children turn into respected members of our AD community..and many, many more fall by the wayside and get banned for continual whining, demanding respect where none is due, and other general offensive behaviour and f***wittery. Fine.. I'm a parent of a teenager, and just maybe sometimes I come across as an annoyed mother. I'm not..the children are all grown up and left home, so now all the junior members and n00bs are my children, to be handled as such, with care and respect..and occasionally with a thick ear or a big stick..
    See ?? I can actually be bothered to discuss this issue where most people would just kick out.. Enough with it.. Grow up and realise the world doesn't revolve around you, or get out of my hair. I don't need a kid picking my every comment to pieces and trying to sound clever or important....

And I still think a lot of the console forums should be closed completely. They lead to nothing but rule breaking and arguing..

I'm getting thoroughly sick of the whole lot of it again.. Why should I give my time freely when all I get is hassle??

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2006
  3. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

Look i care less about you leaveing and coming back but if you dont have thick skin then this is not the place for you.I'm a grown azz man dont talk to me like im a kid.Look when you open your mouth dont think there isn't going to be a backlash.I never said anything to you,it was you that chose to open your mouth not me.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- that one i also politely closed today - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/431294

- then you regulars keep those 'offensive reports' coming and we'll continue to keep order.

i haven't added any smilies this time but i'm being light-hearted about it all to help restore peace to the thread.

5. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

ok i havent read the whole forum because some of the posts are looooong. but is this thread becoming some sort of war between someone and someone?
    IN WAR no one wins :()
    why cant we have a happy forum :D
    i will chear everyone up :)

6. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

@janrocks

I find your contributions very useful. Stay the course and stick with AD. I'm sure this trouble will pass. Besides, every time you say f***wittery it brings a smile to my face. Thats a clever one.

7. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

There is no war.Some of us just see things another way thats all.

8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

@ Damondash.. You see that's how you come across. I had you pinned at about 14. Sorry if you don't like being talked to like a child..but while you behave like one how are we supposed to treat you? I'm one of the older memebers here and fully understand how to give people respect..check your facts before going belittling people or picking at them.. I know how the "report post" button works, I just try not to use it for the slightest thing as the mods have far better things to do with precious time than chasing stupidity around..
    As for thick skin or lack of such.. I really don't need one! I can look after myself just fine thanks.
    My point... People constantly being picky anout the slightest thing..and throwing things in peoples faces all the time. healthy discussion is good, but wittering on and on about irrelevancies is less than pointless. You have got lucky it's me you decided to pick on with the whining and "you dissin me" song that we have all heard so often.. My advice.. Get with the program, act your age and things will go along much more smoothly.
    In closing I will quote another good and respected member (well it may be more of a paraphrasing of his words).. "I'm an bumhole and proud of it.. If you don't like what I say then tough luck, get with it or f*** off out of it"

(note to creaky... I'm getting thoroughly sick of this idiocy.. It's why I went away last time and just maybe it will be the final straw.. I owe AD nothing, and it owes me nothing either. Maybe getting involved again was a mistake. It seems that nothing has changed here and we are all still wasting our time discussing issues with the intellectually challenged {not pointed at anybody..just a general observation on a large proportion of the membership} maybe catch you later on irc..until then....)

9. creaky

- i honestly don't know how how i put up with things or keep coming back either. i'm off sick so have much more time to spend here than usual but there's so much idiocy around the place that carries on (daily) i don't know what else can be done other than push half the forums down a crevasse.

- a few of us will be there to let off steam no doubt

10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Yup..agreed.. Until later then.

This thread is now so far off topic I think it's course is run. And I STILL think most of the console forums are pointless!!

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

*grabs his Big Poking Stick and pokes this thread topic repeatedly in a suggestive manner*

at least some of them....it could serve to help pull this place out of the gutter it's being dragged into.

12. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

Please go back and read your post sweetie because i never bully anyone in here or attack anyone.You open your mouth i never said anything to you get this in your head please.You really need to partice what you preach because i never call you any name but you called me childish and telling me i need to grow-up so before you say your mature you need to take you own advice.

13. creaky

i've been trying to improve the reputation of the console forums by doing my bit to clean 'em up but i can't win. they'll have to go down that crevasse after all :p

14. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

The console forum are not as bad as some people make it.But its funny how some members can claim its bad but dont ever go in there.Plus i dont understand why they dont Banned for life some of these people that make new profiles and comeback over and over...

This is Flamewars at its best

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=88328

Just think Creaky if you had to go in here in laydown the Law.

15. creaky

if only there were ways to ban them forever, unfortunately the only way we can is to keep banning the little buggers

16. janrocks

janrocks Guest

That's the rub.. I have over 1000 posts in the console forums. I know just how bad it is in there. Apart from the 360, wii and ps3 hacking the rest are now surplus to requirements. How many times does the same question have to be answered before it becomes repetitive, and full of bad information? It happens that I'm an xbox guru.. if you have a modded xbox you will be running some of my code. I don't mind people questioning my knowledge, as we can still learn something new from an interesting fault or bug in a program.. but to be called a downright liar by somebody who obviously (due to the nature of the original question) knows very little on the subject, when I have backed up the point with hard facts/links and proof is unpalatable to say the least...
    There are not any psx hacking or help forums here any more.. I'm sure a few years ago there were some. They were removed at some point due to the pointlessness of hacking over the same ground time and time again.
    The same now needs to happen in the xbox and ps2 forums.. Gather together all the good guides in one area (obsolete consoles?) and leave one or two comments threads. No making of new threads apart from a developments area for final releases and updates. That would cut out most of the rubbish.. Then have a blanket ban on all the "vs" threads..that can be right across the site.
    I implemented just this sort of thing on one of the sites I run..and it worked wonders. Information became easy to find as most people did not even need to post to find an answer. At the end of it all...it's about quality not quantity. I for one certainly wouldn't bother to look for information on a console at afterdawn any more..There are plenty of clear, tidy and concise sites out there providing exactly the same information which can be found in a fraction of the time it takes to wade through all the rubbish and pointless "help me (no subject)" threads in the ad console forums..
    If that seems a little hardline then so be it. I would prefer to find what I need to know quickly, than to spend hours wading through rubbish for the odd little gem of knowledge.

As to perma banning.. It can't be done (unfortunately) due to DHCP and the facility for those in the know to change an IP at will. If there is the inclination it's possible to re-write a hardware code as well...without just changing a NIC... sad but true. luckily eventually the morons who keep getting banned get bored of it and take the nonsense elsewhere.

17. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

I willing to bet that the people that does this are newbie's & jr.members.There are vs treads that dont turn into flame wars.If you want to make something better you dont get rid of it.You try to improve on it.I think newbie's should have a post limit per day anyway this might help the matter.

18. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Ok people :) My objective in creating this thread was not to start any arguments. It was pureley for matters that i found the console forums getting out of hand. Also it was to make everyone aware of the situation maily the mods. This thread is more about how we can improve that forum room not about bagging each other. Everyone has different opioions and that makes us a good team cause we all come from different sides and have differnt prespectives.

I say again this thread was created for constructive answers for the issues arising in the console rooms nothing else. If people have problems with the console forums just dont go in there and help out in the many other rooms we have here.

19. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

creaky
    If shearing PS3 names/numbers sand shareign wii names and nubmers are not allowed in their respective threads then where?
    0_o

20. creaky

Zippy, people can just PM each other i guess. Everyone knows who to PM from posting in threads with each other anyways.. Put it this way, i don't know a lot about most consoles but even i can see who the regulars are in the relevant forums

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.