1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get the highest Quality Back-ups using 1 disc

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Oriphus, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

We all have our methods of getting very good quality back-ups of our originals. But some of us dont realise the lack of quality of our back-ups since we dont use large screens. I am using a 60" SXGA projector so i need the best possible quality. Here is the method i use to gain that extra bit of quality:

1). Open movie in DVD Shrink.
    2). Re-author and get rid of everything bar the movie and 1 sound option.
    3). Strip the credits and starting screens
    4). Back-up DO NOT compress no matter what size it is.
    5). Open DVD2One and compress the DVD Shrink files using variable compression.

This is a better method than just using DVD Shrink or DVD2One. By using Shrink we can re-author the disc. By using DVD2One we can obtain variable compression, which benefits the bigger screens.

Chris_X_X_X_X_X_[small]For DVD Back up info: http://www.chrismccann.co.uk
    http://www.dvd-backup.tk
    For User Guides/Downloads: http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2003
  2. koola

koola Guest

Not a bad backup method!

I like the combination of DVD2One and DVD Shrink which will allow you to gain a bit more quality on big screens.

3. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

There an echo in here?

cheezzzz

4. koola

koola Guest

Yep its the ZZZZ cheezzzz :)

5. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

I thought it was only in my head......lmao

cheezzzz

6. koola

koola Guest

hehe :D

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hmmmm, I kinda do that anyways, just by selecting the movie in dvd decrypter,run it through dvd2one, keep the movie one angle and one audio option with variable option.

This leaves the start/credits on but I can't see you losing that much quality by leaving them on.......

But yes I can see your point, I myself can only afford a wee little 28 inch widescreen and the above is great and as the background definition is usaully compromised, this would be MORE evident on a larger screen/projector.... so by removing the start/credits etc, this would probably mean the variable compression is not as severe.....

Nice one Oriphus......

8. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

Oriphus:

I have never used dvdshrink. I've heard so much praise for this proggie. Are the procedures the same as listed in this forum? (if there is one) I need all the help I can get on this. Thanx, dude!! Also, what version of DVD shrink?

cheezzzz_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Just another lonely Hawaiian with:
    P4 2.66Ghz, 120gb HD (7200rpm)
    2X512mb DDR333 (PC2700) SDRAM
    Sony DVD RW DW-U12A(OEM for DRU500AX)
    DXCxpress 3.02
    Smartipper/DvdDecrypter
    Dvd2one/Nero 6 Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2003
  9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

@ Baabaa - Yeah, your method does work very well, a method i have used myself often. But i have noticed a increase in a few 3-5% compression with the start/end sequesnces removed. Also, the Deep Analysis i feel will help to improve the quality. I only do this for movies that need more than 20& compression, sucj as LOTR 2 towers.

@ Cheezzzz - Try the latest version of Shrink, its a beta but works great. There are guides available on this at http://www.dvd-backup.tk, both for the normal and re-authoring process.

10. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

Chris:

Thanx for the guide. Will try it out!

cheezzzz

11. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Hey Oriphus,
    I just went through the newest "DVDShrink Reauthor" guide over at www.chrismccann.co.uk -> I don't know if you or baabaa wrote this one up, but it looks damn good. Congrats.
    I must admit that I have never tried out DVDShrink...I mostly recommend it to new users based on your praise of the product and on its freeware status (which makes its easier for Newbies to start with since they could be uncertain about investing in a software package like DVD2One before they know a little more about the backup process).

However, after clicking through the guide I am very interested in trying it out.

I am curious, however, about this "deep analysis" that you mention. In the process you describe in this thread, you are doing no compression with DVDShrink (meaning you are essentially doing a "direct stream copy" in DVDShrink), how could employing "deep analysis" improve the quality of the finished product?
    Just curious....

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I wrote the guide, though it is just a rough one to help newbies out until the new release comes out , then ill produce a better one - without the background of my pc :D

In relation to the deep analysis question, i have no idea how it does, i asked the same question to Mr Shrink himself and the answer he gave me....well....i didnt understand ;-) However, it does seem to work

13. Bwanaboy

Bwanaboy Guest

In your back-up process you recommend using DVD2One variable compression. In your opinion, is the variable compression with DVD2One better than that with DVD Shrink Beta?

14. sync

sync Guest

I use Shrink for reauthoring. I haven't tried v3 yet. I'm puzzled by something in your post. I thought Deep Analysis was used to help the app do a better job of compressing. So I don't see the point of using it if you aren't compressing.

15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Very true on the analysis, scrub that stage then.
    On the varibale versus constant (DVD Shrink method), it allows you better control over the faster moving scenes, using less compression, therefore allowing them to be of a higher quality. it compresses scenes that dont change much a lot more.

16. Bwanaboy

Bwanaboy Guest

Let me rephrase my question. Do you think the variable compression of DVD2One is better than the variable compression with DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta?

17. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

That's exactly what I meant about the deep analysis in my post above.....

As for DVD Shrink, is it true that the beta for v3.0 contains variable compression? I was under the impression it was still constant.

18. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

v3.0 is still constant and i do believe that Variable compression can offer considerable advantages (Obviously time isnt one of them) over the constant compression. Yeah, you were right about the Deep Analysis Stage. I was hoping that by performing the deep analysis, DVD Shrink will create an output based on that, therefore making it better for DVD2One. But i just dont know......

19. greyy1

greyy1 Guest

Highest Quality Backups,

Question reguarding DVD Shrink 3.0b5 vs InstantCopy, While instantcopy seems really slow, I remember reading a review of various shrink programs and InstantCopy got high marks, this was vs DVD Shrink 2.x tho, so anyone know how the newer version of DVD Shrink stacks up?

20. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I definitely rate DVD Shrink very highly as a compression tool for DVD Video, now that it smploys deep analysis. However, i still feel the way of the future is Variable compression, but what do i know ;-)