1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

? Getting 2 Hours of Video onto DVD...

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by wrkinonit, Dec 16, 2004.

1. wrkinonit

wrkinonit Member

I hear folks get 2 hours of mpeg2 onto a DVD. I seem to get only about 1 hour? Should I be doing something different upon capturing? Exactly which format should I be using? And will quality be retained? thanks.

2. SekiSeki

SekiSeki Member

You can probably get more onto it, but not without lowering quality... at least, in Nero, you can change the playback quality/resolution I think.

3. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

I use dvd shrink to compress movies and it doesnt lower the quailty it looks just like the movie I can fit 2hrs on to a dvd disc and the quailty is great

4. tj162

tj162 Member

Try and use TMPGEnc to lower the bitrate and you should be able to hold more

5. danza108

danza108 Member

on that note... is 2 hrs the most u can get on a dvd? can you put a little bit more, ie 130 mins?

6. flx2000

flx2000 Member

you can get up to 2hrs 10 mins using adobe encore dvd
    it converts files to dvd format but also lets you design your menu in adobe photoshop and you control
    your button design and assignment ie.. play,special
    features etc.
    great program if you want your dvd's to look pro.

7. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

Length does not really determine waht you can fit on a DVD, the important thign is the video format.

Now if you want MPEG 2 DVD Quality then yes you can put 2 hours on a DVD-/+R and this will be perfectly acceptable quality, above this and you will start to struggle with quality.

But you can of course have longer video but this will decrease the bitrate and therefore the quality will become worse.

You can always put VCD/SVCD onto a DVD this will allow even more running time but of course the qulaity will not be DVD.

The simple fact is the longer the video file when converting the lower the quality will be.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005