1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting 2+ hours on a Blank DVD with excellent quality

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by skauffman, May 12, 2004.

1. skauffman

skauffman Member

Hello....
    Here is my problem.... I need to edit a video capture (Mpeg2, Off a TV Cable source)and then convert the results to a VIDEO_TS Folder.

I can do these basics with my presnt software. ULead Movie Factory.

THE Main PROBLEM is when the resulting video is slightly larger than 1hour+45Min and more, the software cannot handle the Generation of the VIDEO_TS Folder and Vob files.

If somehow I can get the edited Video that are over 1hour+45Min and up too 2Hours+15 min,'s converted to the File Image of a DVD....ie...In a VIDEO_TS Folder and it's related Vob and required files.... Then I can use 321 Studio's DVD X Copy "RF" Version to create up to a 2 plus hour DVD in what I consider great quality.

I'm not sure I completely understand all the issues. But I believe 321 studio's "DVD X Copy", seems to have a video compression algorythm that makes all possible.

Any suggestions....Thank's in advance ....skauffman

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

All you need to do is use a Good Mpeg2 editor like "Womble Mpeg2VCR" to edit the Mpeg2 files the way you want them and if they are still lsrger than a DVD you can then use a real Mpeg encoder Like Tmpgenc or Mainconcept encoder to Re-encode the Mpeg2 files useing the correct Bitrate so that the Files fit on a DVD (Use a Bitrate Calculator) and after re-encodeing you just author the Files to DVD useing a DVD authoring Program that will not re-encode your File...
    I have gotten Much More than 2 hours on a DVD with good Quality...I just did Lord of the Rings Return of the King which was 3 hours and 20 minutes and put it on a Single DVD with great quality....

3. skauffman

skauffman Member

Hi...Thanks for your quick response... Just checking to insure I understand you.

Your saying I should use "Womble Mpeg2VCR" to edit the captured Mpeg file on my hard disk. This results in a revised and new Mpeg file that has been edited...Not a seperate file that points to "in and out" points where I edited the orig file. This results with two files.... The Orig Mpeg and what I call a "Pointer" file that denotes the editing.

This way I can convert the revised Mpeg file with TMPGEnc to generate the DVD. Negating any need for the 321 studio Vob processing ?? Correct ??

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes exactly.....You really don"t want to use DVD-Shrink or DVDxCopy to Re-encode the Files because even though there encoders are very fast they are not very efficient so you will achieve much better quality at a Lower Bitrate useing a real Mpeg encoder....Cheers

5. skauffman

skauffman Member

Ok... I Purchased Womble Mpeg2VCR.... Edited my Project.... Downloaded TMPGEnc. When I tried to load the Mpeg project.... into TMPGEnc.... The file will not load.

Minion.... Can I call you on the phone please.

Sam K...In N.CA.(SFO area).

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, For Tmpgenc to Accept Mpeg2 files you have to have a Special Mpeg2 Decoder installed...But it is still Better to Frameserve the Video to Tmpgenc useing DVD2AVI.....
    Here is a Link to the Mpeg2 Decoder:
    M2V-VFP
    http://www.marumo.ne.jp/mpeg2/m2v_vfp-0.6.47.lzh
    To install it Just Keep it in a folder on your PC somewere but copy and Paste the "M2V.vfp" file from the Decoders Folder into the Tmpgenc Install Folder...
    You also should De-Mux the VOB/Mpeg2 file before encodeing because there is No need to re-encode the audio and Tmpgenc can not handle that audio format anyways, So to "De-Multiplex" the Vob/Mpeg2 file you run Tmpgenc and go to "File" to "Mpeg Tools" to "Simple De-Multiplex" and Load in the Vob/Mpeg2 file and click "Run" in a Few Minutes you will have a M2V Video File and an AC3 Audio file....Now Load the M2V file into tmpgenc and it should Load without a Problem and just encode it useing a Low enough Bitrate so it fits on a DVD and Make sure you select "Video Only" under "Stream Type" in tmpgenc before encodeing....After encodeing you will have your Mpv/M2v file and the AC3 audio file you demultiplexed and now you just use a DVD Authoring Program to author the Files to DVD.....Cheers

7. skauffman

skauffman Member

Ok... I Have done all that you recomended. I ahve Simple De-Mux'd the file. Put in in the Tmpgen folder. This program.... So far has not allowed me to load demux'd M2V.... Error message comes up saying "Illegal stream format"

I have struggled with this for about a week

Minion.... Any suggestions.....Can I call you on the phone please.

Sam K...In N.CA.(SFO area).

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Problem you are haveing demuxing the File might be solved if you used "Mpeg2VCR" to demux the File, If you go to the "Tools" menu you will find the "De-multiplexor" and it should be able to demux your mpeg file....

9. skauffman

skauffman Member

I'm sure you know what your doing. I'm not sure I know what I'm doing.
    I repeat...I have "Simple De-Mux'd" & Plain "Demux'd" the file. The Tmpgen program.... So far does not recognize either version of the De-Mux'd files.... and NOW it also does not recognize the demux'd file generated by Mpeg2VCR.... The same Error message comes up saying "Illegal stream format" for all versions of the de-Mux'd file....2 from Tmpgen(Simple and "Plain" Demux and one De-Mux by Mpeg2VCR program.

This cannot be this difficult.

Minion.... Any other suggestions.....Can I call you on the phone please.

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Problem is that Tmpgenc is Not reading the Mpeg Video file so what you have to do is Frameserve the Mpeg video file to Tmpgenc....

#1)First download DVD2AVI and Extract the Files to a Folder and go into the Folder and Copy and Paste the "DVD2AVI.vfp" File from the DVD2AVI folder into the TMPGEnc Install Directory ....

#2) Now Run DVD2AVI and go to "File" to "open" and navigate to the Folder were the m2v file was demuxed to and select it, and you should Now be able to see the Movie in the Programs Window...

#3) Now we have to do some Settings in DVD2AVI...

a)Under "Video" go to "YUV->RGB" and set it to "TV Scale"...
    b) and now go to "Help" and make sure that "Vfapi Pligin" is selected....
    #4) Now go to "File" to "Save Project" and give the Project File and Name and save it .....

#5) in a Few Minutes you will Have a File with a ".d2v" extention ...

#6) Now you can Run TMPGEnc and Load the ".d2v" file in as the Video Source and encode it useing the DVD Encodeing Settings and Make sure you choose a Bitrate that is low enough so the Movie fits on a DVD...

#7)Now when it is Done you should have a Mpeg Video file that Tmpgenc created and you should still have the audio file that was demuxed useing Tmpgenc, Now you just have to author these 2 files to DVD useing a DVD authoring Program...I personally like useing DVD-Lab but if you want something really simple then try "Tmpgenc DVD author".......Cheers

PS: I suppose you Could Phone me but I don"t think you want to spend all that money phoneing to Canada but if you are stuck you can PM me and I"ll give you my Number...

11. skauffman

skauffman Member

Hi...Thanks for the suggestions....

Let me try your latest suggestions....

I'll contact you shortly.

If I really need to call you ...You might want to use my eamil address....(skauffman2@earthlink.net)....to get me you phone number...(this way it won't cause any unecessary/unwanted calls).. The Cost of a phone call is effectively nothing !

I'll contact you shortly if this is really necessary.

Again Thanks for your help...Will advise.

12. skauffman

skauffman Member

Hi...Looks like we're getting somewhere..... I think...I'm almost there..... Got all the way down to step six of your suggestions..... I'm attempting to finish. In the process of encoding.... This takes a lot of time as I'm sure you know.

I think I understand what's going on.

I would like to Chat with you for a few minutes to clarify what is going on... Since I'm not really sure what I'm doing.

Please email me your phone number and specify a time I could call...... So it's convient for you. I'm on the west coast...and I suspect your on the east coast of the continent. So please clarify the time difference.

Many thanks for your patience and help

13. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, If you got to Step #6 then you have made the D2v file???
    Now you just Load the D2v file into tmpgenc as the Video source and Just encode the Video because you allready have an audio file that you demuxed from your source file earlier...

After you have encoded the Video you just author the Video and the Demuxed audio to DVD useing your DVD authoring Program.....

I actually live on the west coast of Canada on Vancouver Island, If you really need to talk with me you can contact me in the early evening...If you PM me I can send you my Number....Cheers

14. skauffman

skauffman Member

Hi... Yes have made the D2v file. and Have just abput finished encoding it...Took almost 4 hours...Is this correct ??

Excuse me....I'm a retired EE....and Component Marketing guy...But I don't know enough...comming up the learning curve to the level I need to be too accomplish what I want.

You say "Now you just have to author these 2 files to DVD useing a DVD authoring Program...I personally like useing DVD-Lab but if you want something really simple then try "Tmpgenc DVD author".......

Did I miss something ?? I should have downloaded something else ??

How about sending me your number via email please.

15. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well If you want to Put the File you have just encoded and the audio file you demuxed on to DVD you will need a DVD Authoring program because you can"t Just Burn the Files to a DVD and expect them to Play, The Files have to be formated By a DVD Authoring program before burning to DVD...
    The DVD Authoring Program will let you add Chapters and Menu"s to your Movie and Burn it to DVD...
    You can download a Demo of DVD-Lab at : http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/
    Or you might want to try something easier like "Tmpgenc DVD Author" (Different from the encoder) which can be found in the Software section of this site.....
    Today wouldn"t be a Good day to call me Cuz I just got out of the Dentists office so My mouth isn"t in any condition to Talk, but if you "PM" Me I can send you my Number.....Cheers

16. skauffman

skauffman Member

Hi... Hope you mouth is fellin better.... Been there also !!

Does the encoding take almost 4 hours...Is this correct ??

What does "PM" Mean ??

17. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, PM means "Private Message" ,You can send a Private Message to any Forum user by clicking the Little Icon that looks like a Head in the Right top corner of each post...
    When you send a PM to someone they get an Email telling then there is a Message waiting for them here and there is Link to the message also...
    If you send me a PM with a message I can PM you back with my Phone number....

Yes the encodeing can take 4 hours depending on what encoder you have and the speed of your PC...Tmpgenc is one of the Slower Encoders but it is one of the Few good ones, On really slow system It can take Literally Days to encode a whole movie......Cheers