1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting a cable receiver

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by 2xTazzy, Feb 25, 2015.

1. 2xTazzy

2xTazzy Newbie

Hi all. Im looking into getting a cable receiver but im unsure which one to buy anyone got any recommendations??? i currently have virgin but its becoming too expensive. Recommendations are appreciated

2. piopat

piopat Active member

kryptview is one option (apart from the cost of the box the channels are free , but this option is not without its issues ), see the kryptview threads . there are other cable boxes that you can add a cable share to (you would have to buy a share ) like dm500c / dm800c / amiko mini hd etc etc . if you post telling us your budget and what you would like from a box im sure someone will be able to post some suggestions .

3. cactikid

cactikid Active member

4. 2xTazzy

2xTazzy Newbie

Hi piopat just want something that i could watch sports,movies etc and obviously not too costly. Just not sure which one to choose. thanks for the link cactikid had a look there but not sure which one would suit me

5. 2xTazzy

2xTazzy Newbie

Ps id rather just change channel without searching thru xbmc just like a normal box lol

6. piopat

piopat Active member

again if you post and tell us your budget , the most you can afford for a box including p+p and extras we could probably advise you better . a dm500c is one of the cheaper but best cable boxes , you should be able to get one of those for maybe £50 to £60 if you look around .these boxes are sd (standard definition ) and not hd (high definition) so you wont get any hd channels with them , and you would of course need to buy a share .

there is also the more expensive dm800c , this would be hd , it also would require a share and again if you look around you could pick one up for maybe £130 give or take .

you can get the amiko mini hd combo on places like ebay for about £50 or so if you look around . these boxes are combo boxes , that means they have satellite / and a choice of cable or terrestrial all in one . again this box requires a share .

the kryptview a780 wont cost anything for the channels but as i said above these channels can have problems , meaning they can be on one day and off the next , im only going by what ive read now and the guys here can tell you a lot better about the kryptview service . there is as far as i know now a kryptview hd but i stand to be corrected on that . if you google kryptview a780 you will get a price , but i believe from memory they used to be £100 plus .

2xTazzy likes this.
  7. 2xTazzy

2xTazzy Newbie

i dont really have a budget m8. I just want a box that i could switch channels instead of having to look for a stream lol. I might try the kryptview a780 see how i get on with that. Just gotta find a reasonable place to buy the one i need lol

8. piopat

piopat Active member

well if money isnt a problem any box will do . the problem with kryptview besides the channels being on and off is that you dont really have any control . with other boxes if the channels are poor on your server you can change to another , but with kryptview your stuck with what you got . so if you are going to buy a box and money isnt really a problem why not get an enigm2 box ? like a dm800c . or if you have a working satellite dish you could get the amiko mini combo (or similar ) that way you have both satellite and cable .

2xTazzy likes this.
  9. 2xTazzy

2xTazzy Newbie

I dont have a satellite dish m8 i currently have VM only as i live in a multi storey flat. Not allowed Dish

10. cactikid

cactikid Active member

as more people want hd the kv 780 is old and uses scart only, enigma2 boxes are well supported and some have swappable tuners.

2xTazzy likes this.
  11. DJMHL

DJMHL Member

Can anyone put me in the right direction to get cable share dublin I have a dm500c just sitting there