1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a PS2, some opinions needed.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by MasterX, Dec 13, 2002.

1. MasterX

MasterX Member

Okay, so I am looking at getting a PS2 and a DVD writer to make some backups.

First of all, what version are current PS2s at, and are mod chips available? Is it better to get an older version PS2, are older version PS2s easier to run backups on or anything like that? Do you guys prefer solder-in style chips or dongle style?

Second, what media plays best on a PS2 (DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW? Is there any specific writers you recommend or don't recommend?

Thank you all for your replies, I am looking to get all this info before I buy rather than after to minimize any problems I might run into.

Ryan

2. dapixel

dapixel Guest

the newest version is v7 i believe which as far as i know doesnt work with gameshark or action replay. so you will have to get swap magic.

as far as dvd burners go, i have the sony dru 500A and it works great, reads all the formats and i have no problem backing up my ps2 dvd/cd games. i hear the Pioneer DVR-104 is a good one also. but it's your choice.

and you also need a mod chip, make sure you see what ps2 version you get so you get the right modchip. i have the v5 no solder mod chip and action replay 2 and everything runs great on my v5 ps2
    hope that helped u out

3. RobWizkid

RobWizkid Member

I have a PS2 30004R version 5 with the Messiah modchop.
    It works excellent !
    I copy my PS2 games with my HP DVD+r/+rw 200i burner on HP/Verbatim or Platinum DVD+r and even on DVD+rw (so i can put another game on it when finished).