1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting an error from dvd shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by xxxchaos, Mar 21, 2005.

1. xxxchaos

xxxchaos Member

never saw this before, but the last 7 disks over the last week have given me this, on diff movies. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I get a 100% burn completed masseage but also this message and the disk will not play. It has consumed the entire disk like a complete burn but like I said will not play.PLEASE HELP

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  2. Pariah

Pariah Regular member

It may be the media. Are you toward the bottom of a spindle that may have been open awhile? I use Verbatim almost exclusively, and rarely have any problems. I did, however, have about 7 or so almost in a row that acted like what you are mentioning. If it isn't the media, it may be DVD size. Somebody mentioned on a thread awhile back that there are two very similar DVD size settings in Shrink, but the wrong one will crash when you are in the burn setting because the disc gets full before the lead-out tracks can burn. Someone who remembers that thread, please add to my comments with the details....

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

[bold]Burn process started at 12x (16,560 KB/s)[/bold]

You are using mcc-003: Verbatim data life plus +8x.
    Very good media. This 12x speed is pretty fast. Maybe you left you burn settings at max.I also,can get 12x out of these.I still burn them at 4x,pretty safe.

[bold]It has consumed the entire disk like a complete burn but like I said will not play[/bold]

Are these backups not viewable on your pc/stand alone player/or both?

We need to know if your pc: the dvd-rw drive that burned it,can play it.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Pariah:[bold]two very similar DVD size settings in Shrink[/bold]

I think this is what you mean:
    You have dvd-5/dvd9/and custom backup target sizes.I use only dvd-5 backups-being a poor boy-so I set my backup target at 4360 mbs. I've burned about 80 mcc-003's without a single coaster,leaving my backup target set to 4300-4360. This will prevent a lot of problems when you do come across uneven dye on the outer edge.Pretty wierd stuff happens when you burn that outer edge.
    xxxchoas,you may want to set dvd shrink's backup target to 4360 mbs-it wouldn't hurt: Open up shrink/edit/preferences/scroll till custom/enter 4360 mbs,ok.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi xxxchaos, welcome to aD,

Acorrding to your log, first your write speed was set too high - you should set it around 4X OR 6X at the most. Though this isn't your problem, it will probably give you coasters in the future.

Second, you didn't burn anything except perhaps your power calibration.

There isn't any information going to your burner.

When you see this,

It's doing just that, waiting to try again in 3 mili-seconds

Your entire log only took 30-seconds - not enough time to do much of anything.

Remember, writing anything at all ruins a single-write disc - Now we have to find out why there's nothing being written ~

Let's start with your basics -

Your DMA is fine, you are using excellent media we'll not worry about those.

There are some things we should check as they have a direct influence over how our drive behaves -

Physically, Your burner s/b set as "master" on your IDE cable and the IDE cable s/b an 80-pin cable not a 40-pin. Always double-check your burner's jumpers to make sure they are correctly set for master, not slave if you installed the burner yourself.

1. Let's check for up-to-date Firmware for your burner.

"OK, so what is this "Firmware" garbage?" Fair question. Firmware is a "tutor" who's job it is to eliminate any "bugs" found in your drive and to "introduce" your burner to all the different kinds of media to your burner is likely to run into and to tell your burner a little bit about it. What type of media it is and at what speed to burn it. As new media is introduced OR, as the Mfgrs of your burner find new ways to use it, new firmware updates OR "Flash upgrades" come out to "school" your burner, keeping it up-to-date. It's good to keep your burner up-to-date as it "tweaks" your burner and keeps it operating at peak performance.

Of major Importance – When dealing firmware, you must match your burner's exact model with the proper Firmware. Trying to "Flash" your burner with something "Close" won't do it. It must be the exact firmware for your drive. ("Flashing" is what the installation is referred to when you put the firmware into your drive.) Trying to "Flash" your drive with some other drive's firmware can ruin your drive.

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also –

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Firmware page -

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Always check your burner's Mfgr's "Support" section to see if some newer Firmware is there -

Firmware, You can't burn without it -

Now we need to see if we have a working ASPI Layer.

"Yea right, and ASPI stands for Another Stupid Piece of Insanity, right ?" No, not quite, it stands for "Advanced SCSI Programming Interface". "Well that tells me nothing, what's it do ?" That's a much easier question to answer. It is kind of a "translator" allowing your software to talk your hardware in a manner that your hardware will understand. Let's imagine an Earthman trying to talk to a rock. Now, think of a sledgehammer as being the interface. With the interface in play, the Earthman can tell the rock to disperse into gravel no matter what planet the rock is from, OK ? Good, let's see if we have a "working" sledgehammer ~

2. Check your ASPI layer to ensure it's working. The operative word here is "working".

ASPI Checker.
    Ascertains your ASPI layer's presence and operation status

Check for your ASPI Layer.
    ASPI Checker -
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...oduct/EZ-SCSI_5.0&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

If one isn't present, we'll need to get one and reinstall it, then reboot our PC to allow it to "settle in".

Force 1.8 ASPI Layer -

http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/

Lastly, when did you last defrag your Hard Drive (HD) ? If you have to stop and think about the last time you did it, then it's way, way overdue. Here we go, (Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter. When it opens, choose your HD, analyses it to see where we stand then if you need it (you probably will) choose Defragment.).

After you finish doing it now you might want to think about having "Scheduled Tasks" in your Control Panel do it for you on a daily basis.

A fragmented HD not only drastically slows down your system but it can cause all number of things to happen inside your PC, a messed up burn being one of them.

Once we've done that, our DVD burner should operate at peak efficiency :D)

Cheers,

Pete

Now let's see if everything will work together the way we want it to, OK ?

Give it a test run and let us know how you make out -

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  6. xxxchaos

xxxchaos Member

thank you to all of you, the most common thing I saw is the burn speed.I will start at that. thank you all, I so appreciate your experienced help. I will have to start over, since while I was waiting for responses, I uninstalled again. I will reload and set speed down, as suggested, also will do a firmware update if available. I did do that a few weeks ago, with no current up available at that time. As far as the question : Are these backups not viewable on your pc/stand alone player/or both?

We need to know if your pc: the dvd-rw drive that burned it,can play it.
    I have tossed the last couple disks so cannot check them, (wifey cleaned out fridge on top of them LOL)
    but will check if happens again. Thanx to all who responded, I really do appreciate the help, hope the speed does correct prob. I will be back to further investigate or tell that prob is solved. Keep up the great work here, I will be checking in.

7. xxxchaos

xxxchaos Member

ok, did the firm update, do have a aspi present
    defraged hard drive, lowered speed in half, and last but not least, set the disk size to 4360 or so, still have the problem but now it only burns about 30% of the disk before it spits it out and says burn error. I am running again and will post error message if and when it happens...thanx for the past help, hope you guys are willing to continue...thanx

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi xxxchaos,

A question just came to mind, You say you're running the burner internally ?

Your IDE cable, is it a 40-pin OR an 80-pin ? ?

"P"

9. xxxchaos

xxxchaos Member

yes it is internal, and 40 pin...what-cha-tinkin?
    I have been able to burn some and a few others are giving same eror. I needed to upgrade to bigger HD, so did so, total reformat, all updates, firnware on burner and at least I have a 50-50% chance. Im still open to suggestions. I believe next step is to purchase a new burner, maybe this one is getting a little used. I have had it for a while now, and have used it sveral times, creating wedding videos and family film-->dvd. If it turns out to be the same problem with a new one I can always keep it for an extra, until I resolve this...thanx

10. xxxchaos

xxxchaos Member

xxx

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You need to have an 80-pin cable -

Making sure we understand each other - the pins remain the same, the number of wires differs. You need to have 80-wires in order to get the correct information to the burner. It can cause all the problems you have been discribing -

It's only a couple of bucks BUT it makes a world of difference -

"P"

12. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

Try and edit your error logs.

Repeated 500 times per log is a bit over the top and adds no useful info.

13. xxxchaos

xxxchaos Member

thatnx scubapete, Im going out tomorrow and will try and pic this up, never heard of it but will check bestbuy.
    Noqoilpi....I dont know what info this error feeds me, you, or the other people helping. I would not know what to edit, even the stuff that repeats, If I deleted something, anything it might hinder someone knowing the solution tho the problem..but hey thanx for your input.

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

xxxchaos,

In your first post, go to the "Edit" icon at the top, far right of your post ~ ~> leave in 3 AND only 3 of these and edit out all of the rest ~

And,

in your second post, again, edit out all but 3 of these ~>

Leaving all that extra stuff in will only "Garbage up" this thread to the point that no one else will want to read it. A big waste of space :(

PLEASE, remove it - Others will benefit from it ~

Thanks much,

Pete

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Please edit your posts now ~

Thank you ~

Pete

16. xxxchaos

xxxchaos Member

there now everyone can relax....**take a deep breathe now**

17. creaky