1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting around the having to swap disc problem with games like chrono cross on the psp....?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Homebrew software' started by Wendego, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Wendego

Wendego Member

I remember reading that the best way to get around how you have to swap discs in some games that don't give you a chance to save before swapping was save at like the final save point in the first disc, then load the save in an emulator on a PC, get past the aprt, save on the new disc then transfer the data back to the psp and continue on. My question is what emulator can read the save files as the psp creates them?

I read a topic on this a few weeks ago, but after a good deal of time searching, I couldn't find the thread again, no sure if it was this board or not.

Question is, what emulator will read this data, and if none can read the raw data, are there any converters to get one to, then change it back? I just finished arc the lad and did all the bonus stuff, and it'd a huge let down if I can't transfer my data to the second one like I was hoping to do.

2. XEnigmaX

XEnigmaX Regular member

There is a converter in the program CWCheat, the download is available at:

http://cwcheat.consoleworld.org/.

After downloading CWCheat to your PSP, open up your game and after it's loaded, hold down SELECT. The CWCheat menu should open and the option to manage memory cards is at the bottom; click on it. From here, click on "save memory card 1 to memory stick" (or card 2 if you have it saved on your second memory card slot). You'll know it worked when it says "Last operation: OK!!" at the bottom.

From here, exit your game and open your PSP on the computer. On your computer, open the PSP's drive and, in the first folder, open the "seplugins" folder and then the "cwcheat" folder and then on the "mc" folder. There should be a 128kb file here, with a name something like "SLUS_01041-0.mcr".

Copy this file to your desktop.

Now, download and set up ePSXe, a PS1 emulator for the PC; available at:

http://www.epsxe.com/download.php.

To set it up, you'll need plugins; I recommend these:
    Graphics: Pete's GPU Plugins
    Sound: Eternal SPU
    CD: CDR Mooby

Now, take "SLUS_01041-0.mcr" and rename it "epsxe000.mcr" and then move it into the "memcards" folder of your newly installed ePSXe. Now you should be able to open Arc the Lad inside of ePSXe and play to the end of disc one, then swap to disc two and save again.

(NOTE: The game may run incredibly quick; to fix this, exit ePSXe and then open it up again. Before running your game, click click on Config and then on Video. Select USE FPS limit and then click on OK. If this doesn't solve the problem, then open up the video config again and under compatibility, select the more hardware intensive options such as, under Off-Screen drawing, set it to 3:Enhanced. The higher the number, the slower it will make it go; and in this case, slow is what we want. If none of this helps [it didn't with mine] then just play through with the game on hyperspeed.)

After you have saved in disc two, take "epsxe000.mcr" and rename it to "SLUS_01041-0.mcr" (or whatever the letter/number combination it was before you renamed it). Take this file and put it back onto your PSP in the same folder (X:\seplugins\cwcheat\mc\), overwriting if necessary.

Now, open up the second disc of Arc the Lad and hold select again to open up CWcheat.

Again, go to "Manage memory cards" but this time, select "load memory card 1 from memory stick" (make sure you never push left or right on the d-pad. If you do, then make sure you push the opposite direction until it says "[YOUR LETTER/# COMINATION]-0.mcr" under "Currently selected memory card file" and then click on the load button again).

Exit CWcheat and then click on load; your data should be there and you will be able to continue playing your game.

3. Wendego

Wendego Member

well, I had to do some extra messing around since arc 2 didn't want to co-operate on my PC, some sort of glitch occurred, but I got it working after, thanks for the help, managed to get what I wanted.