1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting bad burns with good media

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by R3boot, Feb 26, 2007.

1. R3boot

R3boot Member

Hi all.

Been reading up quite a bit on this forum and I have had a problem come up that I can't seem to find an answer for.

But before that let me get my spec's out of the way.

Cpu: 2.6 Ghz Amd X2
    Ram: 2Gb DDR2 Corsair
    Mobo: Abit an9
    Rom: Sony DRU-700A with Firmware VY08
    Media: Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 8x
    (Computer is cleaned up as in spyware and viruses defragged and all that good stuff)

Onto the problem.

I have been making back up copies of my games and everything has been going fine (I burn them at 4x,don't run anything but nero when I burn)
    I have nero set to booktype and so far everything has been working.

I burnt a copy of Smackdown Vs. Raw 2k7 and have been playing it,Working great until it gets to a loading screen then the music stops for a few seconds and does that about 3 times then loads up and works just fine.

So I decided to check out the disk with Nero dvd speed and see how good of a burn it was.
    I let it run and about half way through I get a few errors and my quality rating drops to about 60.
    So I burnt a new one,Starts off with errors and drops to a rating of about 10.Pop the disk out and run it again this time the errors show up at a different section and the disk gets a rating of about 70.

So I started to check all my backed up games and they all are not staying above 70% mark.
    I have tried every burn speed I can and does not seem to clear it up.

I am starting to think it may be my DVD Burner thats the problem,because with the same cd everytime I run the qauitly check it errors in diffrent places every time.
    All my other games do not seem to have any problems in the ps2(No skipping or locking up play just like a stamped cd) but if I check the quality they never get above 70%.

Sorry about the long post...any info would be great and if you need more I can give you all you need.

P.s I have had this burner for a long time and it has seen many many many burns(I have about 2,000 burnt dvd-r's and about 4,000 cd-r's)
    So if its time for a new burner im down with that :p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106055&name=Item-#:-N82E16827106055
    I might just as well pick this up.Always loved lite on...dont even know why I got this sony drive..

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  2. ofolion

ofolion Regular member

This is weird, exact same thing is happening to me!
    Using Verbatims though...
    I think its probably the burner (for both of us lol) 6000 discs is a lot of burning I'm surprised is still runs, good burner that you have though

I did a quality scan with Nero on a recent disc i did...it got 0 LOL, weird thing is it still booted on the ps2 but it crashed during all cut scenes :( ( probably because scandisc shows that the 1st 10% is alright then its all bad )

Anyways i'm looking at gettin the same burner! pity newegg doesn't ship to the uk :(

3. steimy

steimy Active member

I had the exact same burner. Started having problems with mine after about 2 years of abuse (about 1000 or more burns)
    It would work fine to copy normal files, but started giving me problems with movies and games. It even started to have a problem recognizing my blank discs and retail movies after a while.
    I finally just gave up on it and replaced it with a BenQ DW1655 which i just love.
    I hate to tell you this but a lot of the Sony DRU-700A burners are actually rebadged Lite-On burners, which is why i did not buy another one.
    I have also heard good things about NEC and Pioneer burners.
    I did not even know the DRU-700A could booktype, are you sure the disc is actually being booktyped to DVD-Rom?
    I just stuck with 8X DVD-R for that fact.

I have a friend in the UK and he gets all his PC supplies here:
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/home.aspx

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  4. R3boot

R3boot Member

Yep mine is doing the same thing with blanks...sometimes the dont show up.

Yep after a firmware update it worked and all my apps read it as a dvd-rom.

Can that booktype to Dvd+R ?

5. steimy

steimy Active member

yes, it has a whole set of tools you can download for free called Qsuite, one of which is a booktyping tool that is extremely easy to use. It will also do Lightscribe, which has a few more free tools and apps you can download for it. But i am not sure where you will find one, i bought it a few years ago.
    I looked around and i can not even find a US store selling the BenQ drives, Ebay had two DW1650 but they will not do lightscribe.

6. R3boot

R3boot Member

Thanks for the info.
    Ya i could not find any BenQ's anywhere.(Looks like Liteon bought them out)

So I ordered this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106049

Read up on it from a few web sites and it seems to be good. and for 34$ its fine with me.

Hope I start to get some better burns soon :D

Just one more thing..should I worry about all my backups(Only the one game has sound problems) or if they work they work and not worry about reburning?

Thanks
    -Rb