1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting blamed for someone else's dl

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by speedy05, Jan 5, 2005.

1. speedy05

speedy05 Guest

I'm in bit of mess. I was out of the country for a while and rented my apartment out to a friend of a friend while I was gone. Anyway,I was really stupid for not canceling my phone/internet services and forcing the renter to get his own, but I felt that was a lot of trouble only 2 months. When I returned, I've found that the person had downloaded a signifigant amount of illegal material onto my computer using p2p programs such as Limewire. Major films, music, smut, and things I'd rather not mention were hidden in folders on my computer.
    I was really upset and deleted everything from my computer including all of the p2p applications. I'm too paranoid for any p2p file sharing to begin with.
    I'm now left with a small amount of worry I could be prosecuted for someone else's actions, particularly in regards to some of the content I found on my computer. I was SHOCKED and had a rather nasty yelling tyrant with the person and urged him to receive help. Everything has been erased from my computer, and lord knows how much more was there before I returned. I'm sure the guy most have made some attempt to hide what he was doing, this isn't stuff people would be proud of others to know about them.
    How likely is it that the FBI is going to be giving me a call in the near future? The account was under my name. Of course I could take this person to court and I have evidence to prove I was away when the material was downloaded, but the mere thought of police coming to my home to conviscate my computer is embarassing enough. And I have no desire to have someone locked up if it isn't totally nessecary.
    Is there any length of time to know you're in the clear? I've been home for three months now with everything being gone for that amount of time. but reading articles on p2p users going to jail for illegal downloads still has me scared. SHould I report this now to save myself the trouble?

2. GeoHound

GeoHound Member

Hey speedy, You shouldn't be too paranoid about something like that. If it were to happen, it would've happened already. Plus as you say you have all the proof you need to say you did not download any of it. Relax... WoooT!!!

3. FartDude

FartDude Guest

Yea dont worry speedy just like geohound said if anything was gonna happen it would have already but if ur really nervous go here www.methlabs.org here u can dl a little proggy called peer guardian this should make ur head rest alot easier at night. hope this helps ya dude!

4. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

yeah just tell them and show the proof you have that you was not even in the country when all the downloading was going on, thats an end to the matter:)