1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting cutscenes from ps2 games to look better on pc monitor?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by lynch03, Feb 8, 2005.

1. lynch03

lynch03 Member

I hope this isn;t against the rules (I do own the game). I'm trying to get cutscenes from Silent Hill 2 for my ps2 to look better and more like they do on the TV- on the PC monitor. I've already been able to convert them with this process (in case I have to start over to get results-this btw is a c/p from another site trying to explain how to do it):

I had to buy the Silent hill 2 audio cd and convert those tracks to mp3s and merge it with the video files with Windows media encoder because some of the videos didn't contain the music.

The problem is when played on the monitor the picture seems alot darker and a tad less colorful than it is on my TV. Also, this is kind of hard to explain because I don't know any terminology- but when things move around there edges get a bit jagged/rough. The picture also seems to be a tad clearer overall on the TV. Also the video seems to run a tad smoother on the TV then on the PC.

So is there anything I can use to make it look more like it does on the TV? Do I have to start all over, or can I fix it with what I've got? I've tried things like Dr divx, virtualdub, bink video ect, the problem is I really am not sure what any of the options mean or what I'm doing. If it's not against the rules, I'll send one of the small videos to someone so they can see what I mean about the roughness of the edges and everything else.

FYI- this doesnt have anything to do with my tv being overly bright of having wacky color settings. I actually used some digital video essentials thing and ended up going into the service menu and turning some (sub) color way down because it was making red extremely strong. Took me hours to get it all right :)

2. lynch03

lynch03 Member

Anyone? :(

3. lynch03

lynch03 Member

I think the its my imagination that the video is smoother on the Tv, so if anyone could just help me get rid of some of the jaggies (while in motion) brighten it up a bit (add more contrast?) and maybe make the colors a bit more vibrant, id really appreciate it.

Here's some of the files info from gspot (original file before merging with music):
    Container:

DVD "VOB" format

Mpeg-2 Program Stream << 1 vid, 1 aud }

Sys Bitrare 6147 kb/s VBR

Audio

Codec: DVD_LPCM_AUDIO

Video

Codec MPEG2_video Name MPEG-2

frms:~1,031 kpbs:4500 Qf 0.764

Frame (w x 512 x 384 SDE {w x 512 x 384

FAR 1.33 {4.3)

BTW, when I turn nvidias digital vibrance on pretty high, the video looks extremely close to how it doeson TV (just still a bit dark)

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

the dvd does contain the audio, its just its in adx pcm. you need to decode it.
    use pss_demux. pss plex have some issues.
    http://www.project-fao.org/

i did a rip for silent hill 2, and i didn't see any jaggies, or maybe i'm getting old, mine is ntsc-j restless dream version.
    anyway that seems an interlace source, so deinterlace.
    if its telecine than IVTC.
    i'll do a check with mine. later

the colour is supposed to be drabbed, its silent hill. :)

anyway i only know how to do all that in avisynth.

5. lynch03

lynch03 Member

Thanks, but I don't know how to use avisynth lol. I downloaded (Avi synth 2 same thing?) it doesnt seem to have an exe file, how do I run it?

Did you use avisynth to put the audio and video files split from the pss files together? And everything else.

Thanks again :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  6. shiroh

shiroh Guest

avisynth is a script frameserving tool. it also have filters to do some video processing.
    there's a bit of learning curve.

the easiest way to deinterlace right now for you is using virtualdub's deinterlace filters.
    i still haven't got the time to re-rip SH2, but i do remember it back now, it does have combing artifact. pretty sure its interlaced and not telecined.

try to learn avisynth. you'll be glad you did when you got the hang of it. its really good

7. lynch03

lynch03 Member

What exactly is combing artifact and how would you remove it?

Thanks for all your help :)