1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting desperate! DVD Loader & SM DVD help...

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by zimzimmer, Sep 1, 2004.

1. zimzimmer

zimzimmer Member

Hi peepz....

I'm in Dire Straits here, I'm up in the early hours of the morning trying to get Mafia to work via the VD/DVD Loader. I've got the CDLoader and the DVDLoader but none of them seem to be working now!! I've followed the instructions step by step to a tee but when it comes to the point of swapping over PS2 swap magic with my backup game I can't take the SM DVD disc out because its still spinning... fast!!

And to top it all off my Swap Magic discs are now hardly being recognised by my PS2!! I'd say it loads up about 1 in 10 times of trying.

So my questions to you good people are :

1. Where am I going wrong in the CD/FVFLoader???

2. How can I get my PS2 to read my discs properly again!!! Can you clean the laser??

Thank you

Paul

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

well, actually your not following the directions.
    1. load swap magic cd/dvd
    2. swap for cd/dvd loader
    3. This step may or may not be needed. hit x, select5v3 NO PN, hit x
    4. hit eject, insert swap magic dvd, HIT X
    5. swap for backup, hit x.

Also, give it a few seconds between steps.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]V9 PS2, flip top, SMD, DVDLoader
    Pioneer 107, ritek g04
    DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Nero[/small]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  3. zimzimmer

zimzimmer Member

Thats exactly what I did... when I put Swap Magic DVD back in though it always come up with 'ERROR READING DISC' then when I press X it just comes up with the same error message!!

I've noticed that my Swap Magic DVD & CD aren't loading up that frequently... Apart from the odd very minute sratch here and there they are fine. Could it be my laser? How do you clean them??

Or could it be that I don't have the right version of DVD Loader (Is there different versions?)... I have a V6 PS2.

Any help would be great!!!
    Thanks

4. Ashman1

Ashman1 Regular member

5. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

try cleaning the lense using a q tip and some isopropyl alcohol (the stuff that comes with cassete head cleaners), if it still has trouble reading them, then try adjusting the laser angle; using the white cog at the back of the dvd drive.

6. zimzimmer

zimzimmer Member

Thanks ZXSPEKY, I will try those tonight... hopefully it will work!! Out of experience have you had to adjust the white dial for the lens before? if so which way did you move it?

7. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

yes I have had to adjust the cog, it can be moved either way, just make sure that you mark the original position before you start to move it, and it usually reads all types of disc best between 3 and 6 notches, but you will have to move it a notch at a time and test each type of disc after each turn, untill it will read all discs.

also, you might want to try removing the scratches form the discs, using some car cutting paste for metalic paint, put a small amount omto the disc, than rub hard from the centre of the disc out, then repeat using less pressure, untill the scratches are minimised
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/zxspeky/[/small]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  8. zimzimmer

zimzimmer Member

Thanks pal thats a great help... can I ask what notch yours is on?

9. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

I replaced the lense in my v4 and I bought a reconned v5 ps2 that also has a new laser in it, so at the moment they are set at default, but before I replaced the lense on the v4 it was set at 3 notches to the right

10. zimzimmer

zimzimmer Member

how much is a new lens then?? And do you have to buy one that is specific to the model of your PS2? And are they easy to fit?

I may just get a new one if none of the things you suggested works?

Cheers

11. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

I don't know where you live, but in the uk lasers can be bought for £25 - £35, depending on the type of laser, you need to know what version ps2 you have, check out the scph# on the back, then look on the net to find out what version it is, or you could simply remove the laser and look for the model# on it, if your ps2 is a version 1-4 the # will be 400b - 400c, these are the cheaper lasers, if it is above v4 then the laser will have hd7 stamped in the metal on the end of the laser housing, and a small plastic cover around the laser, then that is an r type, if it has a bigger cover and pink and green stickers on the bottom, then that is a hd7, and these are more expensive,
    you must look around though, because there is some conflicting info between a lot of the suppliers as to the type of laser, some will tell you that a 4ooc will fit in a v7 ps2, which it might not, unless that was what was in it in the first place or if you are just lucky, and some say the hd7 applies to both types of laser that I mentioned, and that the r type is only the 400r, but I think the 400r is a later version of the r type.

I know of this because I spoke to a guy that I know who repairs ps2's, and we tested different types in different consoles, we found that when a laser is put into a console that it is not meant for some don't do anything, some only play cd's and some spin the laser way to fast, but he also told me that some ps2's that use the hd7 lasers can also use the 400c's.

hope I didn't just confuse things lol

12. zimzimmer

zimzimmer Member

It did a little but thanks... it helps.

I'll have a go at tweaking the dial first!!

Cheers again ZXSPEKY

13. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

At this step you can use an original dvd based ps2 game instead of the swap magic dvd (it must be bigger than the backup you are trying to load).

14. zimzimmer

zimzimmer Member

oh wicked... How do I know how big each game is then? Is there a list or something that I can look at on the web or something??

Thanks for your help.

15. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

stick it in your pc dvd drive and look at the file size, gta vice city is the most common game used as a TOC disc.

16. zimzimmer

zimzimmer Member

Thank you