1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting disk read error while making image

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by fdklana, Feb 18, 2004.

1. fdklana

fdklana Member

Hello there,

I am currently trying to make an image of a disk with safedisk 2.7 protection. I am using Alcohol 120% with the profile set to safedisk. I am not sure but when i am making the image now, i am getting multiple disk read errors. I think the errors stop after around sector 10,000. Is this going to not allow me to play the game?

I have tried making the image for this game before using cloneCD but after burning it on a CD-R it didn't run. When ever the game lunched, it would try to read the cd several times and then stop and give me a "Cannot read from memory" error. Perhaps using CloneCD was a bad idea since i read that Alcohol 120% should be used with protections of safedisk 2.7 and lower.

Frank

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  2. fdklana

fdklana Member

It seems that i have found some answers on my own. It seems that the first 10,000 sectors with a safedisk 2 cd cannot be read properly so thats ok. This explains why i am getting the read erros. Do i really need to emulate for a safedisk 2.7? The reason i am asking is because i have a cd which i made using clone cd. I am not sure if it copyed it correctly.

Frank

3. fdklana

fdklana Member

I am sorry if i have asked a stupied question. It seems that i was using the wrong method in the begining to burn the game. So i am currently following the guide on http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/36444 because i have a "1 sheep" burner and the first step on making the image using Alcohol 120% is going ok so far. I'll post my results as i come close to finishing.

Just one more question, i am using a MATSHITA CD-RW CW-7586 and i am not totally sure its a sheep 1 burner. I didn't find it in a sheep 2 burner list and i am just trying to make sure its acutally a sheep 1 burner.

Frank

4. fdklana

fdklana Member

Well somethings work now and others don't. For instance i managed to make the image using alcohol 120%. When it was done i mounted the image on the virtual drive using alcohol's options and it worked and lunched the game without a problem. Here is where the problem happened, i when i tried to burn the image using safedisk 2/3 option writing at 8x with DAO SAO it didn't work once it was done. I did enable ignore media type and BAD sector emulation and Lazer lock emulation. I am not sure what to do right now it seems that it could be my burner that cannot handle burning this type of protected media.

Oh one more thing, i did get an error while trying to write to the cd informing me that my cd burner cannot write 1:1. So i belive this confirms that i must have a 1 sheep burner.
    Any thoughts anyone?

Frank

5. fdklana

fdklana Member

It appears that my burner is so old, i don't think it would work if i put my life on it lol. I don't even think sheep existed when it was created lol. Anyways, thanks everyone for reading this and it would have been nice is someone actually posted something. Have a good day all.

Is there a way i could still copy the game to a cd using my burner and still have it work???

Frank

6. fdklana

fdklana Member

I think i finally gave up with trying to burn it using my burner. My burner is not a sheep burner, it does not work with any type of emulation. So the alternative is to rely on virtual drive programs like Daemon Tools or even Alcohol 120% to create a virtual drive that can be used to play the games.

I did end up burning the game to another cd but it had to be burned on a data cd with the original .bin and .cue files. So basicly the cd still holds the game i just have to run a virtual drive to actually play the game sinc burning it is not possible with my burner.

Anyway, time for some sleep, good night :). BTW great site.

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

If you need to burn a SafeDisc2 protected game the major consideration is the drive doing the copy; certain drives have certain characteristics that give them an easier time to perform SafeDisc2 copies than others. Such drives are described as being 2-sheep burners. Drives not quite up to the task (however capable of), are described as 1-sheep burners and heaven forbid, 0-sheep burners. So the first thing you need to do is to find out what make/model your burner is and if it is a 2-sheep burner or not. To determine your make and model of your optical drives; if you happen to have Nero Infotools installed, start it up and under the Drive tab, it will list all the relevant specifications and capabilities of your burner. The actual name of your burner is listed in the drop-down box at the top (those numbers before the name of your burner are important too!). You can get InfoTools from http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm Once you have determined tha name of the burner, head on over to http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/45121 to see if that burner is listed there or not. If it is listed there, it is a 2-sheep burner; if it is not listed there it is not neccesarily a 2-sheep burner but highly unlikely. Now if you have a 2-sheep burner head on over to http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/23699 to find out how to copy a SafeDisc2 protected game. If you are running a 1-sheeper than visit http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/36444 for the appropriate guide.