1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting dvd+r blanks of a good ISO tested on various virtual drives

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Jamieous, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Jamieous

Jamieous Member

Hello everyone, if anyone could help me with this issue it would be a great help. While i am no stranger to backing up my dvds and converting them to divx/xvid for my dvix player, my attempts at makeing a backup of my first actual dvd to dvd+r has so far ended in frustration.

At this point i have used dvddecrypter(3.5.4.0) and dvdshrink(3.2.0.15). While i have a wealth of other tools (vobblank, ifoedit, dvdinfo, clonedvd) i have not used them as this is only a backup of a cartoon dvd i suspect to get heavy use by the kids. However, if any other tools would be useful please let me know. I created an ISO with decrypter and shrunk it down with dvdshrink, useing the newbie freindly interfrace to delete things like extra lanauge captions and trailers of the series. I got it down from 8GB to 4.35GB. To test the ISO, i mounted my end result in virtual drives: I tested it in both d-tools, nero image drive (Under nero 6), and 120%'s image drive. All three detect it and i can use four different dvd players to run it smoothly, with menus. However, burning it results in different results. Magiciso will detect it as a dvd image and burn it 100%, but my two players ( a magnavox and a sony, not sure on models offhand) will not read it, giving their varied error messages: not a dvd disc 'ERROR" on the sony, disc not playback able on the magnavox. Nero 6 results in a "could not write line out end of sector" or something to that extent - i'll check in a moment. DVDdecrypter gives me a I/O error and outputs about 60 hex values. Clonedvd's burner just says it can not burn and crashes.
    At first i thought that was an aspi error maybe, but adaptec's aspi checker says i have it running and drivers correct for XP. Nero did install the nero aspi, so i am not sure if the two are possibly conflicting. However, i can burn cd-rs in audio, data, and i made a divx backup in the burner that runs just fine on my divx standalone.
    The media in question is maxwell dvd+r and the burner is a HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GCA-4080 running FW 0C35. Any help is greatly thanked.

2. david66

david66 Regular member

it looks like you need to use dvd-r not +r discs

3. Jamieous

Jamieous Member

Is the image takeing up that extra bit of space? The burner can burn with both. I went with dvd+r due to the error correction, really. But do dvd-'s have anything major other then the few extra in space?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  4. Jamieous

Jamieous Member

I dropped the video quality a bit and rencoded it, and came out with a 3.80gb version, same issues.

5. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

for your dvd player issues,
    Do they support the +R format?
    DVD players are very picky when it comes to burned dvds, so for the best compatibility its best to booktype the +R's(if burner is capable).
    the problems with maxell dvd is you dont know who manufactured them before you buy from the store.

Verbatims and taiyo yuden are the most compatible media when it comes to burning and playing with dvd players.

also to check if you need a firmware update you can do that with dvd decrypter, you can also find the MID(manufacturer) code for the disks
    to check for firmware select TOOLS/DRIVE- check for Firm...
    ISO/READ while a blank media will give the MID code

edit
    also IMO ImgBurn is the best program for burning ISO's
    http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007