1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting LightScribe to Work With Nero

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by mrooobaa, Apr 20, 2006.

1. mrooobaa

mrooobaa Member

Hey,
    I just got a LightScribe drive, and I'm using Nero 7. The drive came with Nero 6 that supported LightScribe, but I would rather use Nero 7 (I don't know why-I just like it better). When I just installed Nero 7 (a few minutes ago after I put in the drive) I looked at the projects and I didn't see LightScribe label making. Is there any way to make Nero 7 support LightScribe, or will I have to use Nero 6 or some different software? Thanks in advance.

2. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

I use Nero 7 and have no problems burning Lightscribe labels. I'm not sure what version of nero 7 you are using, but I would try updating to the latest version 7.0.8.2 here: http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/nero7-demo.php

I would use Nero clean tool and do a clean install of Nero 7.0.8.2 after using the clean tool. Don't forget to write down your serial number before you do. Here is a link to the Nero 7 clean tool:http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/Nero7_CleanTool.html

Also, I would download the latest LightScribe host software from Lightscribe.com here: http://www.lightscribe.com/support/index.aspx?id=305

Here is what Nero says about your problem:

and here is where that hides in Nero:http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/FAQs_TOP_20.html#8

Here is what LightScribe.com says:

Hope this helps. I would try installing the LightScribe host software first, and if that does not work I would do a Clean install of the latest version of Nero 7. If that doesn't work move to the other solutions. Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  3. byngo

byngo Regular member

I have virtually the same problem.
    I had the nero 7 demo installed.
    Then I added a lightscribe drive.
    No show for the lightscribe options but all else works fine.
    Uninstalled 7 demo (using windows XP)
    Installed the bundled Nero 6 OEM version.
    Lightscribe option appeared,!!!
    However burning rom would not open, express would'nt open.
    Uninstalled nero 6
    Re-installed 7 Demo, back to square one.
    I have tried the settings given in the troubleshooting guide and I have the latest LSS software from the lightscribe sight.
    I was begining to wonder if the Nero 7 DEMO does'nt support lightscribe and the Nero 6 OEM suite supports lightscribe but most of the other stuff is disabled unless I buy an upgrade or something.
    I too was begining to like Nero 7 but I think I'll try the Nero remove tools and start again with the bundled pakage.
    Any suggestions / experiances??

4. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

Nero 7 demo will work with lightscribe. You need to uninstall Nero and use the Clean tool before installing the latest version. If you didn't use the clean tool, it won't fix the problem.

5. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

The help file on Nero Cover Designer says you need 3 things to be able to LightScribe. The LightScribe software installed, a capable burner and medium. I am assuming if you don't have a disc inserted that is LightScribe capable, you won't be given that option.

6. mrooobaa

mrooobaa Member

Yeah, I was using Nero 7.0.8.2, but I will give that a shot, thanks.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  7. mrooobaa

mrooobaa Member

Yeah, I did a clean uninstall of Nero, installed that LS host software, and I reinstalled Nero, but I still don't see the LightScribe option. It's not even greyed out or anything, it's just not there. Do I need to put in a blank LS disk to see the option to make the LS label?

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@mrooobaa

It is not necessary to have a blank in the drive to open the lightscribe program in Nero6.6. Actually every time I finish a disc it asks if I want to use Lightscribe.

Nero version 6.6.0.18

You will be disappointed with lightscribe, it's not color and hard to read. And puts a lot of burn time on your laser.

9. mrooobaa

mrooobaa Member

Yeah I know it works with Nero 6, but I can't get it to work with Nero 7. I don't like Nero 6 for some reason.

But it's all good I guess, I found a separate program that lets me print LightScribe labels, and it seems to work pretty well. Someday maybe Nero 7 will print my LS labels, but it currently hates me, so I guess not lol. Thanks for the help though.

10. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

mrooobaa

Maybe you are not looking for the lightscribe feature in the right place in Nero 7. When you open Nero Cover Designer in Nero 7 you should see several cover options that include an Icon for LightScribe. If you don't have a lightscribe disk installed, the lightscribe Icon is greyed out, but it still appears. If you don't have an Icon at all, Nero is not recognizing your drive as a lightscribe.

Here is a link to another forum discussing the same problem:
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=154215&page=2&pp=25

11. byngo

byngo Regular member

Fireman DB

I did an uninstall of nero with the clean tools from the site. It told me I needed to use the general clean tool when i tried to use the Nero 7 tool so I got that too.
    I reinstalled nero7 and voila. My lightscribe options appeared.
    Now I've got it working I realise I will use it for special keepsake back-ups or home video only.
    The verbatims are'nt cheap and as you say, it takes a lot of laser work.
    Mind you I can share the load of read/write with my other burner.
    Thanks for your help anyway.

12. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

byngo

Congradulation on solving your problem. Glad it worked for you. LightScribe.com has a new contrast utility available for download. It is supposed to make the color contrast of the lightscribe label better. I haven't tried it, but you may want to try it. It will make your burn time longer though. Here is a link: http://www.lightscribe.com/support/index.aspx?id=306

13. byngo

byngo Regular member

yes, i already got that one ta.