1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting My PS3 Online - HELP!

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Creddly, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Creddly

Creddly Guest

Hi, I'm in the UK and currently have AOL Broadband Platinum 2, which is 2Mbps to 8Mbps.

Mine averages around 6.5Mbps

I currently use this modem which I had free with AOL
    http://www.voyager.bt.com/usb_modems/voyager_105/product_info.htm

It's a simple USB modem with only two ports - One for the USB and the other for the wire connecting it to the phone socket.

I've recently ordered this;
    http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1883

It's a 2 in 1 Modem and Router. I was also advised to buy the correct cable, so I bought this one
    http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=455

Now comes the tricky part... what do I do with this wire, the Modem/Router combo and the PS3 (When it comes... 23rd March) to make it work so that I don't have to swap things around and mess about.

I want it so I don't have a wire across my floor from the phone (Like now), I don't have to reconfigure online settings on the PS3 and I don't have to keep messing with my PCs settings! - If this is all possible! lol

Please advise as I'm useless with networks, etc although I do know my way around a PC so you don't have to treat me like a newbie, but also don't go over-kill on the technicalities! lol

So, if there's anything else I need to buy, just tell me and link me to some (UK) sites!

But more importantly, some instructions for setting it all up!

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I'm having the Premium (60GB) PS3 so I've got the built in WiFi if that helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2007
  2. Creddly

Creddly Guest

Oh well, guess I'll be figuring this one out on my own despite having literally no knowledge on setting up a wireless router! lol

3. lazy74

lazy74 Member

first off, what kind of router do you have? do you have encryption set up? WEP? WPA? if you have either one of these, i'd recommend turning them off and using MAC filtering instead. I had an issue setting my ps3 up wirelessly and turning off encryption cleared it right up. MAC filtering is relatively secure, just make sure you add the MAC addresses of all the machines on your network.

hope this helps

4. Creddly

Creddly Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2007
  5. lazy74

lazy74 Member

you're welcome.

not really familiar with that router you're getting, but irregardless, if it has wireless capabilty, it will likely have encryption of some kind. Check the manufacturers website on how to disable encryption and how to enable mac filtering. You can find out the MAC address by going into "internet settings" on the ps3 browser if it finds the router... if you start the config process, at some point it will tell you the MAC address it starts with 00-00-00-00 ect (0's are either numbers or letters)..with the encryption off, you shouldn't have any problems with setup.

6. Creddly

Creddly Guest

Cheers mate!

That's the PS3 side of things taken care of, but I've still got to set up the actual router and modem thing!

I'm sure I'll figure it out!

I'm more of a practical than theoretical guy anyway! lol