1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting New Mobo to work

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by OE40Data, Mar 18, 2005.

1. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

OKay i posted earlier that my mobo fried so i went to frys to get a new one. I installed everything like it should be but only the cpu fan and video card fan spun and my LED on my cd rom and floppy drive never came on. I then unplugged all the data cables from the mobo and left one stick of ram and i reseated the video card and turned it on. Now the computer starts up with both fans running and power to my cdrom and floppy drive. Any ideas on what i should do next? Thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

take the board out of the case, isolate it from the case but still able to use the psu unit to see if mounting problem. try a different video card. check the cmos jumper position

3. ddp

slow server!!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  4. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

How would the mounting of the mobo cause a problem? I'm almost positive it is sitting in there like it should. When i have everything plugged in i don't get any lights on my cdrom or floppy drive. When i unplug the data cable to the cdrom i get lights on it. When i remove the video card so i just have the hard drive connected and one stick of ram, the cpu fan runs and it just sits there. This mobo is brand new so i dont think it would be a mobo problem. I switched the cmos jumper switch to clear for 4 seconds and put it back to normal to see if that did anything and it didnt. I then removed everything included the ram and left the power connected to the mobo. The cup fan booted up like normal without any beeps and just sat there. Im almost certain the monitor works but im gonna go ahead and try it on my roomates comp to see if it works. Thanks again for the help...hopefully we'll get this resolved soon enough.

5. ddp

try a different video card or a different psu. the motherboard could be touching something it is not supposed to, that is why i suggested pulling the board out to try it out of case

6. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

All my devices harddrive, cdrom, floppy get power and run when they arent connected to the mobo. When i connect them to the mobo they dont power up....

7. ddp

connect 1 drive at a time to see if 1 is bad. also check that the data cables are connected the right way on both the drive & motherboard

8. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

all my drives are connected the right way. They all work properly when not connected with a data cable to the mobo. My harddrive and everything powers up and runs as long as it isnt connect to the mobo. For some reason when i connect them to the mobo they don't turn on. My video card appears to be working normal too as it powers up and runs but i get nothing on the monitor. I tested the monitor and it works fine.

9. ddp

sounds like you have a short somewhere when drives connected to motherboard. did you try hooking 1 drive at a time to see if a drive problem or not.

10. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

Yup whenever i connect a drive it doesnt work, then when i unconnect it, it works fine. Very weird.... I dont understand why i dont have a picture on my monitor either. Is it because the mobo has a 4xagp slot and my videocard is an 8x?

11. ddp

try a drive without the videocard. what version agp is the card:2 or 3. what is the card & what is the motherboard??

12. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

I'm not sure really what you mean by version of the card. The card is Geforce Ti4200 and my mobo is a Mercury P1845EX-L Intel 845E Chipset.

13. ddp

is the motherboard made by mercury or what??

14. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

Yeah Mercury is the brand.

15. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

This is soo lame. Im thinking this mobo is a POS.

16. ddp

what do you mean?? found the company but not your board!!

17. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

ya i know i just looked. I just bought this board at frys today so i dunno why its not on their website. My board isnt on frys website either. Figures.....

18. ddp

check the frys site for boards more known that that merury board like asus, asrock, msi, gigabyte, ecs & or whatever that can handle your cpu & videocard.do you have both power connectors plugged in properly especially the 4pin square connector?

19. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

both power connectors? What 4pin square connector are you referring to?

20. ddp

are you running a p4 motherboard. if so than might need a 4pin square or 6pin straight besides the regular atx power connector to plug into the motherboard. those 3 connectors come from the psu. talk about it about 11am eastern standard time in the morning