1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting new Slim PS2 - Should I put modchip in it or use Swap Magic 3.6

Discussion in 'PS2' started by PS2reset, Jun 14, 2007.

1. PS2reset

PS2reset Member

Since there are so many topics in this forum, I briefly looked through some recent ones and found nothing similar to mine so I decided to post it and hopefully get some answers.

My fat ps2 just gave up on me for nth time, so I sold it on ebay because I'm fed up with fixing it.

Now planning on getting new slim ps2. But before I do I want to make sure the rumors I heard about slim ps2 are true, because I had my old ps2 for 6 years and I know nothing about new slimmer ps2. Here goes:

1. Is it true that if you put modchip in v12-14 you also need to solder some sort of laser fix mod that prevents lens from burning (I heard its not needed if you have latest v15 ps2 or if you use swap magic)?

2. Also if I decide to use swap magic, is it true that not all games are compatible with SM and you also need to patch the game image before burning in order to make it work with SM?

3. I only use ritek or taiyo yuden media for burning dvds, are they good for slim ps2? If not what is?

4. Also are repair parts cheaper for slim ps2 than for fat ps2?

5. And if there is something I should know about slim ps2 that I didn't mention above, don't hesitate to tell me.

I have no problem with modding console myself or swapping disks in order to play backups, what I want is the best solution that will result in my slim ps2 lasting longer.

So if you had experience with slim ps2, and playing backups on it please share. :D

2. ps2wizz

ps2wizz Regular member

1. only v12's need the fix 13-15 are fine
    2. a lot af games arnt compatible and u need to patch or rebuild them
    3. taiyo yuden the slim lasers seem to be better at reading disks but poor disks also killed a lot of v12's lol.
    4. A lot chaper e.g old laser = £35 new laser £12

I would advise you to get a chip. It is a lot better in the long run.

3. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

I don't like the overheating problems I'm suffering from when playing with my v15 slim PS2. Besides portability, I rather play on my old PS2 (the fatties) for both PSX games and PS2 games because of longer playing times without worries with a better ventilation system instead of worrying about my slim PS2. On a game by game basis, results differ slightly or more depending on such and such but usually, you can notice apparent slowdowns when playing certain games for more than a simple two hours. (Yes, I'm very lucky I gotten this one exceptional slim PS2 -_-)

Both are actually good. I really would test both and see how both perform before making a decision. Instinctively, I rather you choose Taiyo Yuden over Ritek although Ritek isn't bad either. Gaming-wise, I rather use Taiyo Yuden.

A rare 1~5% games don't work with Swap Magic no matter what. Certain games need rebuilding like replacing dummy files i.e. 1.5 gigabyte dummy bin with a mere 1 kilobyte replacement (although you can still boot with the dummy file intact in some cases) and shrinking certain files for the God of War games to squeeze onto a DVD5, 4.34 gigabyte DVD.

Parts for the fat PS2 seem a bit obsolete (of course, given the age of such and such) hence the high price whereas buying a laser for the slim PS2 is cheaper because it's somewhat relatively new and in abundance.

Good media (or quality dyes) will assure your slim PS2 having a much longer longevity then using bad wretched (and horrid) media brands you didn't mention like some. And, as a owner of a slim PS2, I recommend you limit your playing times to about 2 hours each game with a lengthy periodic rest before playing again IF you are experiencing the same problem as me which is apparent noticeable lags and so forth.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

ok, just for fun i will answer the questions a third time, LOL

1. Is it true that if you put modchip in v12-14 you also need to solder some sort of laser fix mod that prevents lens from burning (I heard its not needed if you have latest v15 ps2 or if you use swap magic)?
    Only with a V12

2. Also if I decide to use swap magic, is it true that not all games are compatible with SM and you also need to patch the game image before burning in order to make it work with SM?
    Yes, some games need rebuilding or removal or dummy files. Problem is you never know which until you have wasted a DVD. In the older days a search here would have given the answer. Also it will not play any DVD9 dual layer back ups like God Of War 2

3. I only use ritek or taiyo yuden media for burning dvds, are they good for slim ps2? If not what is?
    yes, Taiyo Yuden is quite good, Verbatim would be my next best. But Ritek is ok too.

4. Also are repair parts cheaper for slim ps2 than for fat ps2?
    not really

5. And if there is something I should know about slim ps2 that I didn't mention above, don't hesitate to tell me.
    they have the overheating issue, some laser issues and are just not as good as the older models. You want my advice then go to Teammodders.com and buy a premodded V7 used PS2. with either a Crystal Chip V2.0 or Matrix Infinity Green Dot mod chip. You will be much happier with what you can do. Like adding a nice big internal hard drive to play all your games from, or being able to use memory card exploits. No laser or overheating issues

I really do not have any heat issues with my V12 but only because i heavily modded it by putting it into an HD Combo case (only for V12 or V13) which basically turns it into a smaller version of the fat model. Plus it has dual fans whihc really helps the air flow. Mine even has an internal 250GB hard drive which is why i got the case, and even the heat from that i have had no problems.

5. PS2reset

PS2reset Member

Thank you everybody for fast response.
    Reading all your answers gave me an idea of what can I do with my slim ps2 once I buy it.
    Now I cross my fingers and hope I will not get v12 ps2 - seems like its the worst one out of all slim ps2s.

6. Frankie27

Frankie27 Regular member

I've had a modded slim v12 with laser fix for almost 3 years. No problems what so ever and plays both God of War and God of War 2 (Both Dual-Layer) perfect. I am also using cheap-ish DVD's.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

If you buy a used premod at Teammodders.com as suggested you can guarantee that you will get what model you want. I would still get the V7 before i bought a slimline though. They get them from the same places most others would, Gamesstop, EBgames and those type of retail stores. Plus they stand behind what they sell.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  8. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

The only reason I don't resent buying my v15 slim PS2, aside from the obvious overheating issues plaguing it compared to the superb cooling system of the fat PS2s, would be because the slim PS2 has portability with it, and plus, taking the slim PS2 to a friend or relatives is pretty neat considering I'll be bringing my backups so I don't have to worry about young siblings or nephews ruining my store bought copies. I too hope to revive my old v5/v6 PS2 soon and enjoy play it off the HD. Also, I've tried a couple of add-on cooling peripherals for ventilating my slim PS2. Nothing I found worked sufficiently (not even decently efficient) enough for me to bother with them anymore and wasted money sadly.