1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting new slim PS2 (UK) soon and would like to play Jap imports

Discussion in 'PS2' started by lotus_lee, Jan 1, 2005.

1. lotus_lee

lotus_lee Member

Hi, I will soon be buying my first ever Sony console (yea I know, pretty late eh!). Well, since the new slim PS2 has recently been released, I though it would be a good time to buy one. Plus, there are a few games that I want to play.

Anyways, I live in the UK and I will be getting my PS2 in a few weeks. Hopefully, most stores will have them back in stock and at the original price of around £100. I'm probably only going to get Star Ocean and GTA:San Andreas (PAL since I'm living in the UK). I also would like to import Initial D: Special Stage and Naruttimate Hero 2 from Play-Asia.com and play these on my console.

Am I right in saying that the only things I need are the 'Swap Magic v3.3 discs' (Swap Magic and Magic Slide are the SAME thing right?) and the '3-piece PSTwoMagic Switch', like these:

http://consolemoduk.co.nr/

Also, I have heard mention of the 'Slide Tool'. This is for the original PS2 and NOT the PSTwo right? I just want this cleared up because some places are selling the Magic discs and some tool together as a package and I don't want to end up buying the wrong 'magic tool' for my slim PSTwo.

I don't want any solder mods because I can't be bothered to install it and don't want to void my warranty.

So once I install the 'Magic Switch', I just stick in the discs, then take it out and replace it with my Japanese imports, close the lid and then press X or something and everything will work fine?

Finally, I apologise if this has been answered before.

2. lotus_lee

lotus_lee Member

3. dvdbunny1

dvdbunny1 Member

Hi there,

If you have a UK PAL new slim PStwo, then you need swap magic v3.3, it comes with two things 1 CD and 1 DVD,
    Then you can use the straw, paper and tissue method in order to play a game with the swap discs. Which is what i am doing at the moment and i have had no problems if the straw, paper and tissue method is not what you want then you can order the slim tool from this website in the UK www.techwizad.com it is £10 which includes delivery and postal insurance.

I have just ordered from them for the slimtool as i want to close the lid of my pstwo, so it does not gather dust as my lid is open at the moment.

Hope i have helped

Happy New Year

4. lotus_lee

lotus_lee Member

Which is easier to install, the straw, paper and tissue method
    or the 3-piece slide-tool? The first method doesn't involve
    taking off the case does it? I'd rather not do that if that's the
    case because you know, accidents do happen and I might
    accidently slip and damage the mobo or something.

Also, if I use the first method, it would mean that the lid won't
    close right? Well, can't you just use a small weight or book or
    something and place it on top of the lid to keep it closed?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  5. dvdbunny1

dvdbunny1 Member

firstly, as far as i know it's not called the slide-tool, it's the slim tool.

secondly, both the straw, tissue and paper method, and the slim tool which is three pieces does not void your warranty, you do not need to open up the PS2 case, all you do is lift up the lid on the pstwo and install the parts it takes 1 mins and is really easy.

thirdly, do not place any book on top of the pstwo if you choose to do the straw, tissue and paper method as you will damage the pstwo. The lid has to be open for that method, you can do that method and leave the parts in always, if you want the pstwo not to gather dust then you can put a large empty hollow box over the pstwo but there is not much need for that. Your pstwo will be fine.

fourthly, the slim tool will allow you to be able to play your pstwo while the lid is open and closed.

lastly, it's pretty good that you have held off from buying your new slim pstwo as sony had problems with the first batch and the laser problems should be completely fixed for 2005, so there should be no laser burnouts. I seem to be lucky i bought one just before christmas and i seem to of had a new version as my pstwo plays fine.

I hope i have helped

6. lotus_lee

lotus_lee Member

Well, I'll be getting it as soon as in 2 weeks time so it's a good
    chance that I will get one that is fine right? I don't mind
    waiting a few more weeks since it will give me a chance to
    save up even more money so that I can order more at the
    same time!

Anyways, I think I'll give the straw,tissue and paper technique
    a try at first since it's basically free. Should I need to worry
    about bits of material not fitting in properly and therefore
    falling through holes/gaps into the case? Also, how long does
    this technique normally last before you have to replace it or
    rearrange it? If it's quite often, then I may just decide to get
    the slimtool instead and never have to bother with it again.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  7. hubbie88

hubbie88 Member

Do you know where to get the slim tool or similar in australia or shipped to australia?

8. dvdbunny1

dvdbunny1 Member

Okay firstly this is for lotus_lee

For some reason when i first installed the tissue, straw and paper method. A day later i had to replace it, as the straw seemed to pop out of place, then i remember it was only because i moved my pstwo not in the normal way but i had lifted it on its side and then placed it back without checking the method. Anyway so i replced it and the pstwo has been sitting on my desk for a few days now and its playing backups perfectly. Now there is no need to replcae the method at all.

The slim tool would be better as like i said in a previuos reply thats it's only £10. What could go wrong, you can also close the tray whch helps no dust gathering up on your laser when not in use which will preserve your console for longer.

Lastly the straw, tissue and paper method you do not need to bother about sizes fitting. Just go here and read this with deatailed pictures:

http://www.chiptek.net/shop/catalog/article_info.php?cArticlePath=6&articles_id=46

The above website does not sell the slim tool, so you will need to go here www.techwizad.com

By the way i am not some salesman trying to sell this to you in anyway, i simply have read a lot about the slim tool, and know that this is the best method out there and when i see something good i spread the word.
    I am also waiting for my order to ship from them.

Now this is a message for hubbia88

I believe you can order from techwizad on his ebay store and through www.techwizad.com for orders as i think he does world wide shipping. Send an email to him for shipping rates to Australia.

I hope i have helped

9. BOUT2BUS

BOUT2BUS Guest

Hi guys,

This site is doing a swapmagic+slimtool package for slimline users in the UK:

http://www.pop-uk.info

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2005