1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting playback on settop box

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by videomike, Nov 10, 2002.

1. videomike

videomike Guest

I have burned several movies now to DVD-RW and only had one playback successfully on my Panasonic DVD-RV30 settop player. My one successful creation was from a DVD-5 that required no editing, just rip to ISO and burn the ISO. Very easy.

Since all my burned movies play on the PC (all are movie only, no menu)and my Panasonic settop player has already demonstrated its ability to play the same brand media, I must conclude there is something wrong with my IFO file perhaps in the first title sector start but not sure. So my question is simply this:
    With a known good burn, (plays on PC) and know compatible settop-media combo, what is it that the settop player requires for startup that is different than the PC?

2. malum

malum Regular member

what software are you using to burn it?
    and what settings do you use in said software?

A burn that works on the PC doesn't mean much as the PC is very forgiving

3. videomike

videomike Guest

skip it - it turned out to be cheap media I was using. My burned DVD-RW plays on settop now that I am using Maxell instead of Princo.

Just FYI, I am using DVDDecryptor and IFOedit using all defaults, and burning movie only.

Did notice stretched images on this movie when played on settop - any advice on that?

4. malum

malum Regular member

re streched images.. No idea unless you are re encoding at the wrong resolution but you don't mention re encoding.

5. videomike

videomike Guest

thats right, I don't do any decoding. What affect do the screen options have in Ifoedit? I use all the defaults and dont change anything but perhaps I need to. For instance the 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios - my stretched backup is at the 16:9, 720x480, and the Automatic Letterbox option is checked. How can I fix his problem?

6. malum

malum Regular member

No clue, never used anything but the default myself, maybe someone else knows?

7. videomike

videomike Guest

just reburned and before burn reset the main movie IFO file to the 4:3 aspect ratio and automatic pan and scan and no change on settop playback, still has slightly stretched images.

Could this be from the movie originally being letterbox? Maybe thats the key - that if the original source is in letterbox format, it must be burned in the matching format and perhaps some IFO adjustments must be made? Will have to research this.

If anyone can add to this discussion, please do so.

8. mikeyUK

mikeyUK Guest

Video mike,

The problem you described at the beginning of this thread is Exactly the problem I am having.
    But mine cannot be sorted by better media