1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting rid of ROXIO Drivers

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by larrymcg, Mar 17, 2007.

1. larrymcg

larrymcg Member

Many months ago when first using Nero and having some problems, Gwendolin pointed out that I had a Roxio driver

File 'Drivers\CDRALW2K.SYS': Ver=6.2.0.132 , size=24698 bytes, created 10/22/2003 9:15:02 PM

and to use the roxio-zap.shtml app to get rid of it. I did that and it was gone. Now today I see that a newer version of the Roxio driver has gotten onto my system:

File 'Drivers\CDRALW2K.SYS': Ver=8.0.0.212 , size=2560 bytes, created 10/4/2006 7:42:42 PM

This file is in two places:
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers
    and
    C:\Program Files\Picasa2\plugins\CDVDR
    both with the same version number.

Does this mean you need to go around zapping the Roxio drivers from time to time because they keep coming back?

--Larry

2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

3. larrymcg

larrymcg Member

I've run the zapper again. It bothers me that the zapper says it should not be used if Roxio v6 is installed. Because that is what I had installed before installing Nero.

Now when I run Nero InfoTool, the Drivers tab still shows the Cdrwal2k driver (and cdr4_xp) but all the info for them is listed as n/a. I looked in the registry and there was a pointer to where the file used to be so I removed it. Cdrwal2k (and cdr4_xp) still show up in Nero InfoTool.

Anoter utility, What's Running, also lists Cdrwal2k (and cdr4_xp) but says they are stopped and all the pertinent info that would normally be supplied is empty.

Makes it hard to know if they are really gone or not! Both files are missing from the normal places they should be which makes me think they are really not being used --BUT they both exist in the plugins folder of Picasa2 (Google's photo organizer/editor). There still must be references to these 2 drivers since they continue to show up in InfoTool and What's Running. But I can't find them with a registry cleaner.

Hmmmm.....

--Larry

4. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Just a guess, but did you recently install Google's photo app? They purchased Picasa a while ago. Perhaps it uses Roxio's engine to burn photos to CD? If you rely on that feature you may want to check it still works after zapping.

Mike

Edit: Sorry, just read your follow-up and see you've already seen the Google connection.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  5. larrymcg

larrymcg Member

Actually I have no intention of ever using Picasa to burn any CDs or DVDs. I don't use Picasa any more since I got Photoshop Elements 5 some time back. However, I've kept Picasa on my machine and run it when my daughter calls to ask questions on how to use Picasa.

As a test, I fired up Picasa and then looked at things via the registry cleaner, Nero InfoTool and What's Running. Nothing changed. Likely the cd/dvd burning driver only gets installed by Picasa if you actually try to access a cd/dvd.

--Larry