1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting static noise on dvd's

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bigjim213, Apr 29, 2005.

1. bigjim213

bigjim213 Member

I am shrinking and burning dvd's using dvd shrink. I am using Philips Dvd+R 4.7g. I burned meet the fockers and it worked great but any other discs i burn have a faint static noise whenever audio is played on the movie. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey big jim,

Not exactly quality media.Try some better stuff like ty,verbatim data life plus,maxell,or fuji's in the plus format.

What audio streams are you ticking? I only use AC3 5.1-ch English only. Leave others un-ticked.

Is the static noise heard while you view them on your pc or on a stand alone player?

What program are you using to burn? Dvd shrink only rips and compresses.

Here's a few things to do:
    1)Reduce your burn speed-2.4x for poor quality media.
    2)Reduce your compression,use main movie only and AC3 5.1 english only. Also try cutting out some beginning and ending credits
    3)No multi-tasking
    4) No paper/sticker labels

Media quality is the likely culprit,try some better media.If you can pick up a small pack of maxell's,they may fix that issue.Maxell uses some very good to great quality manufacturers and no crappy ones.They are also easy to locate in your area.

3. bigjim213

bigjim213 Member

well i think i may have solved the problem. When i used dvd shrink it automatically burned through nero. If i compress it and then burn it myself i dont get static. thanks for the post though :)

4. prune77

prune77 Member

Hi all,

I had the same problem with burning CDs and DVDs, but was able to fix the problem by changing the configuration of the burner so that it behaves as a master instead of a slave. The burner that I have is a plextor 712A, which works best if it behaves as a master, the burning speed increased tremendously after I made the configuration change, and the best part is no more static noise.

5. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

@ prune77 hi :)
    why bother to increase the burn ability.
    as saugmon has said, for a quality burn 2x-4x is the way to go.
    the faster the burn over 4x the higher the risk of errors