1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting the best picture from vhs to dvd

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by born2ride, Jun 15, 2007.

1. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Remember, you have 2 controllers in your card. Try the other tuner.

2. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

thanks i did that and still nothing .
    mce tell me low signal strenth tried a tv on line work fine. its either a card or driver concern i guessing. grrrr

3. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Hauppauge has a new driver set dated Jan. 15, 2007, version 2.7. You can get it here if your current set is older.

There's also a Win-TV editor issued June 2007 that sounds interesting also.

4. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

i just wipe out all driver and reloaded. both tuner are up and running in mce now. ya.... new is reload wintv2000. but having hard time to find link?
    ps so far now ghosting yet!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  5. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Great!!

I had to reinstall my drivers several times before they'd work correctly and be stable.

6. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

i think i had to much pc time today can you find the link to wintv2ooo? i must be blind!! or missing
    i found it but now error mesaage hcwtvnd.dll missing ?
    bed time now tomorrow is another day

7. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Try this link for wintv2000.

8. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

hobbit
    ok finally back up and running with wintv. i can use composite now. off to try some tweaking
    where does it get the image file from and any thoughts on the error codes?
    do they mean anything?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  9. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

I found some basic info on the error codes, but not the specific one you are showing.

Did you get a manual with your card? If not(or you can't find it), go the Hauppauge support page and get the manual for the PVR-150. Some good suggestions in the back regarding display settings.

The image file I think is like a place-holder for WinTV's recordings (maybe a self-test to see it it works?).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  10. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

thanks again.
    all that came was the card, a disc and one sheet of paper explaining the install. which blew my mind... i figure it would have some kind of book. i did find a manual for win tv usage. which would of been nice in the begining of all this. but i am slowly becoming good at removing and installing this product and drivers..... so far it working good again. its hit or miss with the driver and mce plus trying to use wintv added more trouble.
    when capturing from vhs have you noticed any delay?
    it seems when viewing the inputed video there are section across the screen that seem to be wavey. i thinks its an tape or vcr head issue..

11. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

You got more than I did! All I got was the card! Had to track down the drivers, etc.

I also became fairly adept in removing and reinstalling the drivers. At last count I think I'd done it 4 or 5 times.

I do see a slight delay between the vhs and the recording, maybe 3 seconds?? I just adjust for it and then edit out the trash at the beginning.

I also see occasional waviness at the top of the recording. I agree with you that the probable cause is a tape head issue (or old tape). It could also be the reminants of Macrovision.

12. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

i dont think its a macrovision issue due to these are tapes i have made. the waveyness i think its more noticable on the cam corder tapes than the vcr tapes. i use so kind of tape that you place the small ones into then play in a vcr.
    back to buy another vcr with s video output

i put emails to hauppauge its been a while no answer yet..at least a week.. support stinks for this card.

13. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

I emailed their support once and I did eventually get a response. I think it was 1+weeks but they did answer.

14. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

hobbit
    have you played with the advanced 150/500 capture setting? i am going to do some reading on it..
    the flicker i see might be the cam corder pausing and recording..
    maybe the vcr is to slow to pick it up and now its amplified with capture card.
    i am using the cam corder as an input now the picture seems a little better..
    for some reason my gut tells me the processing maybe causing the wavyness. i am going to place a tv inline and compare the two.

15. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

born2ride,

I think I have messed with the advanced settings, at least the ones available to me (I have the PVR-150).

I think most of my problem might be a failing motherboard(bummer!). If I'm to keep this cpu in business, I'll need to find another slot A motherboard that takes a 1 gig Intel PIII cpu.

16. squidge37

squidge37 Member

I'm looking into getting a Hauppauge PVR-150 card, but NewEgg has four and I'm not sure which one to get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&DEPA=0&Description=Hauppauge+PVR-150&x=0&y=0

I'm thinking the 2nd one would be a good choice for VCR video capture, and it's the cheapest, but it says it only works for Windows Media Center Edition 2005. I have Windows XP Professional 2002. Do I have to pick another one? The two cards with the most inputs both say Windows MCE only. I hope I'm not stuck with having to use a coaxial cable?

17. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You want the top (first) one.

18. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

If you want the FM receiver and the RCA inputs, get the second one. You can download all necessary drivers & programs for free from Hauppauge's website.