1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting the old "Please insert a PS/PS2 fomat disc" screen... Please help!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by finnicky, Jul 1, 2007.

1. finnicky

finnicky Member

Forst off: HI! New here at the forums. I've lurked about and so gotten help on how to back-up my games but now I couldn't find the info and thought it high time to join.

The thing is my PS2 is telling me it can't read discs it could read just a second ago. I've rebooted 50 billion times (or at least it feels like it) but still no go on any of them. My backed-up games aren't really a problem, 'cos I've got the originals after all which play fine, but I've got an imported game from Japan where I'm near the end and IT WON'T READ. *insert swearing fest here*

I just bought this PS2 2-3 weeks ago, the chip pre-installed at the shop (Matrix Infinity v.1.53), and it's a little early for it to bugger up right?

I'm not a technical genius; I can find the on-button on most things but that's pretty much it. Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

2. finnicky

finnicky Member

^bump^ PLEASE help.

3. vespas

vespas Guest

if your back-ups work then couldn't you just back up your import ?
    Another thing is when you power down your ps2 unplug EVERYTHING (all leads, controllers etc.) and leave for few min's, don't know why but this seems to work for me!
    One final note, is what media you using? I know there a many a thread on different media what's good and what's bad but I can't stress enough on how important this is, one burn onto a crap disk may seem to work fine but your ps2 laser is working overtime trying to read said disk resulting in a F'd up laser.

4. khloud

khloud Regular member

Or take the PS2 apart, get a very thin tipped screwdriver, or a knife with a small tip, and un-screw the lid that holds the lid that holds the disc down to the laser. Get a Q-Tip and stoke it a few times lightly across the lens, then, insert a disc, screw just the disc lid back on, and test it, so you don't have to take it all apart again if it doesn't work. Finally, put everything back together. Worked for me when the disc wouldn't spin until I kept reseting the thing and got lucky. Called Gamestop and they tried to trick me saying I needed to buy a new PS2.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  5. finnicky

finnicky Member

Thanks guys! I don't really have the technical know-how to dare open it up but I'll try unplugging everything. If all else fails I'll try your advice khloud, and hope for the best! Sorry if I wasn't clear, vespas, but the back-ups aren't the ones that are working it's the originals, which is why I'm not as worried about them. It's my Japanese game that I wanna play ;.;
    Thanks again guys! I'll keep you updated! (yes, i can see you're all on the edge of your seats with anticipation =P)

6. khloud

khloud Regular member

Ah, so it's the backups huh? You had the exact same problem as me. I tried to get my first backup disc working, but no luck. This was after I found out the wiping the laser trick. So I kind of lost hope in getting it to work, but then I put in the disc again, had my back turned away from it, and I hear it working. It's at a loading screen, but doesn't go on from there. Wiped the laser, sure enough it worked. Talk about a miracle.