1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting XBox Live Using a splitter

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Uh_what, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Uh_what

Uh_what Member

HI,

Let me first say
    I have been using Afterdawn as a tech reference site for ages but have only just registered, I am happy to be a member

Anyway here is my question:

I live in the UK and have cable TV in my bedroom I also have Broadband internet downstairs in another room for my PC, Both services are with virgin media.

I have been online with my XBOX 360 by using the modem from my PC's connection (by obviously Unplugging it and using it upstairs by removing the wire from my STB and pluging it into the modem) This worked great for a while and I even used the 1 Month free Gold subscription. The connection using this method was flawless I just plugged everything in and signed in automatically.

I decided to get set up properly and brought a 1ghz 2 way splitter, a coax cable and a cable modem (tiny blue NTL one) I tested out my old modem with the splitter and new wire and everything worked no problem.

When my newly acquired modem arrived today, I hooked it up and get the bloody MTU failed problem...........

..DAMMIT

Checked forums and poeple who have this problem don't use the exact set up as I have (splitting a TV signal and directly connecting to the modem)

If this has been covered already and I have missed it, sorry for being a pain But please somebody help.

I have not yet tried to clone a mac address

I don't know if I have to contact virgin to register the hardware and what I will be charged If I do

and of course What do I do

any help will be rewarded with....well a thank you

CHEERS!

2. twisty1er

twisty1er Member

when you split the signal by using a 2 way splitter you raise a thing called the TX so the reason they dont work after you split them would be caused because of that.

3. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

sounds like you need a router not a spliter and another modem.

4. CrisKahn2

CrisKahn2 Regular member

you only use a splitter when you want to use internet & cable TV from one cable line...

You need a router if you want ur xbox live to work....cuz routers allow you to connect many ethernet cables and share one internet connection with all using the same IP address.

The reason ur new modem doesnt work is because ur ISP only gives you one IP address so using 2 modems wont work. The modem that is first connected to the internet will stay connected while the other will fail. So if you want you can disconnect the modem downstairs then the modem in ur room will get connection. Modems only work one at a time...unless you have 2 seperate internet cable lines.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  5. Uh_what

Uh_what Member

hi

Thanks for the support

since posting I have found out that because the modem I brought of ebay is not registered on my cable account it will not connect to server

I have heard that modem cloning is possible

Does anyone think it is a good Idea to clone my existing registered modem so that I can connect with my new one

Also I do have separate cable connections one in my room for TV and one downstairs for broadband

I split the connection in my room so I am able to connect a modem and STB simultaneously

and have opted to do this instead of using a router to share a connection because I want a dedicated connection for both gaming on the 360 and downloading on the PC

any further advice and or guidance would help

6. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

why the trouble? buy a router and get it over with.
    you probably could have bought one with what you paid for the second modem. look on ebay for a linksys router, my guess is after shiping you may have twenty bucks in it and then diss the other modem and dont give yourself a headache.